Whitebeam Prune

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Maire, Sep 25, 2024.

1. Maire

Maire Apprentice Gardener

Support Worker
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked a tree guy to prune my Whitebeam tree. He took a LOT off. I loved the tree and am worried it won't grow again. Can anyone tell.me if this will grow back? It was a beautiful tree it had just grown quite erratically as it hadn't been pruned for a long time.

To me it looks like this won't grow back well, if at all. I'm furious as I told him I loved the tree, it has just got a bit out of control. Is there anything I can do to save this?

Attached Files:

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,149
    It does look a bit severe @Maire, but if it was healthy before pruning it should recover over winter and produce new growth in spring. It’s not an ideal time to hard prune now, late winter is better, but it’s surprising how resilient many plants are. I don’t think that hard pruning will kill your tree. Keep your fingers crossed and be hopeful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,651
      You may find the opposite as trees often respond to hard pruning by making long new growth the following summer.

• RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,507
      Ours had been hard pruned before we moved here at the end of November last year. It has grown beautifully, although it didn't have much blossom this year.
      Of course, I don't know how much blossom it had last year.

But, it is the most beautiful tree.

• Maire

Support Worker
      Ratings:
      +0
      I
      Do you have any pictures of the hard pune and how it grew back?

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,815
      Some new people moved into a house round the corner from me and the whitebeam there was hacked back - in spring. Looked very like yours @Maire. By the end of summer it had recovered and was producing some foliage.
      I was appalled when I saw it because there was no need for it to be pruned back, but I wondered if they were going to be doing some work on the fence or something similar. They haven't, but the tree is fine, despite the timing. They tend to be a naturally good shape and habit, so it's always a shame when they're hacked hard, but they're tough trees.

I might take a look at it today when out, and see how it's looking. I'll report back :smile:

• RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,507
      I'm sorry @Maire that I didn't take photos of the tree. I took photos of most of the garden, but this tree I omitted, because it was ugly, and I thought it was dead .

Yours has the basic shape, and should recover - might take a year or two. Your tree surgeon has probably taken into consideration the location of the tree. Two more years, and you'll find it needs attending to again.

Your post has reminded me to take photos of before and after we have our tree surgeon come mid November.

• Maire

Support Worker
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you!

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,815
      Sorry - forgot to post this yesterday. The tree has produced plenty of foliage, although it's looking pretty manky now, as is the norm for the time of year here.
      Hopefully, it'll look better next year, with better branching and therefore a better shape overall, as long as they don't keep hacking it back and allow it to grow normally.