Whitefly Plague

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Hannah, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My peppers are covered in whitefly. I've tried spraying with coffee to the extent that the peppers probably have a pretty high caffeine content, but nothing is stopping the beggars. Any bright ideas?

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Whitefly, especially in the greenhouse have become very resitant to most chemicals. Regular spraying with soft soap solution and using neem oil will help.

It's too late in the year for nematodes to do any good but you could try them next year. Also ladybirds, lava and adults, are voracious feeders on white, green and blackfly.

Another tack I'm experimenting with is Shoofly Plant, (Apple of Peru 'Black Pod'
    Nicandra physalodes) used for companion planting.

[​IMG]

Flowers are short lived, 2 days at most but there is a long succession. Forms a seed pod something like chineese lantern

[​IMG]

3. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I also have whitefly in my greenhouse my chilli plants are covered, although they don't seem to be damaging the chilli's.It is a bit late in the day to do anything about it now, I will probably be harvesting the rest of them this weekend anyway. [​IMG]

4. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We grew Shoofly for a few seasons (for sale), never properly investigated the pest deterant properties but they were always pest free themselves (no spraying). [​IMG]

5. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They're very pretty too! Do they take up much space? Well as long as they're not going to damage them I shan't worry too much.

Thanks for the advice guys! [​IMG]

6. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They grow to about 5 feet and spread their seeds. I pull up any unwanted seedlings which are easily recognised. I leave one or two which have rooted in good places. Not as much of a problem as it sounds, but I pull the plants out before they really take off with ripe seeds.

I have never found out whether they really see off white flies as the only problem area is in the greenhouse. Might pot one up next year and move it into the greenhouse if the whiteflies appear.

7. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    Hi,I use a bit of mild green .. and water. Now hands that do dishes..

8. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    5 feet??? Hmm, think that's a bit big for my tiny space unfortunately! Ah well, I'll try nematodes next year, meantime I'll continue with coffee and fairy!

9. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can keep them down if you don't mind cutting them back every few weeks through the summer. They will branch nicely & still flower. [​IMG]