Whos in the right ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by spudbristol, Jun 18, 2008.

1. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    One of my customers neighbours has had a consevatory put up 4 inches from the boundary they also took out some hedge and after alot of nagging on my customers part :rolleyes: they have now put up a fence of sorts but it looks allfull and the back of the post faceing there garden is exactly on the boundary line meaning that the fence is actually inside my customers garden :mad:

Anyone know what the law is regarding this type of thing ?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Probably comes down to whos boundry it is, your customers or the neighbours.

3. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Surely a boundarys a boundary isnt it ? so the fence should either be on it or either side ...

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like one of those problems that people spend 1000's of £ on and end up in the High Court. I can understand the problem regarding the principle of the matter but the practical cost might not make it worth it. Hide the fence with a climber and remember that glas structures are vulnerable to kids with stones;)

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Tricky one, contact the councill planing office for addvice. Basicly I dont think theyll be many options without spending a fortune on solicitors fees.

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I think this is correct, but don't quote me.

Looking out of your house window. The fence (be it natural or man made) on your left, is your responsibility.:confused:

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I'm not sure but around here you tend to own the boundry on one side.

That means to me that the one you own should be on your property, with the face of the fence, (the boarded side, opposite to the rails) facing the neighbour.
    The boundry that you own and are responsible for should be on the deeds of the house.

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    tweaky, can't be sure you're right. I've got the deeds of my house and if I look out of my front room, the boundary on my right is my responsibility.
    Ydd, glad you like my theory:D

10. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well its more the fact the fence looks stupid its 4 foot with 3 foot posts :rolleyes: my customers 80 and dosnt want to much hastle but then again she wants it to look nice frankly if it was my nan id go around there an sort it but i cant really can i :(

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Put some trellis on top and grow some russian vine up it:D

12. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Petrol....I never said that OK.

13. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Well when I worked for our local council as head of a sites & buildings section the rule used then was that it was the right hand side fence was your responsibility and as someone previously has said the arras rails should be your side of the fence not the neighbours. So they have the flat boarding their side. I have to say I have not dealt with the law on sites and buildings since 1989 so I wouldn't wish to say categorically that it was still the case.

14. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    It seems to me that as your customer is 80 and I suspect on a low income if they go to Citizens Advice Bureau they will fix up a meeting with a solicitor who will advise and also do a letter to the neighbour for your customer. There may be a fixed charge of £10 for this service.

15. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey, left or right, port or starboard, wet or dry, teetotal or on the wagon, with or without an affliction, dry shave or wet shave, grow a beard or be clean shaven, semi skimmed or full cream, electric or battery charged. Erm....

Nite all.:eek: