Why are my bamboo's leaves turning white?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Iain, May 8, 2008.

1. Iain

Iain Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to find out if the leaves should be turning white. The plant was a small gift when we first moved in a few months ago and thrived on the windowsill - I moved it to an 8" pot and put it outside in a semi-sunny spot.

Some of the leaves started turning white so I've moved it to the corner where it's out of the sun entirely.

I'm now wondering if I've got a species of bamboo that's meant to go white... does such a thing exist? Or am I not looking after it properly?

(A huge thank you to everyone at GC, by the way - I've been lurking here a while and my lawn is now looking much better than it did thanks to your tips)

Got a couple photos here: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/iain.shreeve/Bamboo?authkey=I-udoJ3-28k

2. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Im not quite sure what the plant is but its not a bamboo. Was there a tag?

If its been inside the house with lower light levels it could be the new leaves are being bleached by the sun, if thats the case it will outgrow it.

3. Iain

Iain Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How embarrassing.

The tag had no clue on it as to what the plant was. My older brother identified it as a bamboo, so I pass any responsibility onto him (how grown up - passing the buck to my sibling at 26 years of age!). I'm glad it'll outgrow its white leaves though.

So what could it be then? I'll re-post in the identification section...

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Iain, it sounds as if it has got a little bit of scorch, nothing to worry about. If you can post a pic, someone on here will be able to tell you what plant you have.:thumb:

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    First, Iain, welcome to GC ... don't be embarrassed by anything .... I can do that for everyone here. :D

I have Bamboo here on up the deck where it is fulltime sun and the leaves are scorched white .... but then again, would that be a surprise to you guys?

BM, strongy, roders or pete would be the guys to respond to this.

Enjoy the forum.