Why Gardeners Corner ??????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Victoria, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    Whatever possessed you to join GC?

It is t'other half's fault that I am here. I used to use a laptop (with keyboard attached because I touch type very fast) for the sole purpose of e-mails and writing my books.

For my birthday he bought me a flatscreen and new keyboard and mouse and I got a "proper" computer, networked to his.

In May he e-mailed me (we frequently e-mail each other) the link to the RHS forum ... saves getting up and walking across the house to speak! I asked him what a forum was (stop laughing, I don't lie about being a technophobe!) and he had to explain it to me! :rolleyes: So I joined and thought it was the most boring place ever.

However, one time when I was logged in someone said something like "Hi, Nathan. How are things at Gardeners Corner?" The reply was "We have over 2,000 members now."

And that's why I am here! :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D :D

I also belong to an American/Canadian garden site but I don't visit there much and a great New Zealand one where members can "talk" for longer than on GC Their posts can go on for pages! Of course, I don't join in on the chatter ... :rolleyes:

2. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Why did I join?

Well, ages ago when I bought my computer (March 2004) I didn't know how to set it up or even how to switch it off and on. After a few weeks on line I thought I would join a forum - and decided gardening was a good topic. GC was the first forum that came up that seemed interesting and the people looked friendly so very nervously, wondering what I was getting into by signing up, I joined.

The rest as they say is history.

I have learned so much, not only about gardening, but how to do lots of things on my computer and made so many great friends and the Webmaster is the best!

I now belong to eight other forums but don't use the others very much except the Diabetes Forum, and have even found out how to set up and run my own forum - which often keeps me very busy! Husband is not interested in computers at all and is always shouting upstairs to ask if am ever going to get off the b********* computer. :D

Best thing I ever did was to become a member of GC

[​IMG]

3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    I agree, jjordie. There is more to GC than gardening, however, I must say I have learned a great deal more than I knew before.

I've now also taken up photography because of it. I have a long way to go in that department but I'm really enjoying it.

I've also started again, with encouragement from members, something I had not done in years. I should say painting here .. this is the edited bit! :rolleyes:

And, as you rightly say, I've made some very good friends. T'other half thinks we're mad and sometimes says "you talk about them like they are real people", and of course my answer is ... no, not b****ar off but "they ARE real people, I just haven't met them in person".

Thank you, Nathan!

[ 08. January 2007, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Lady of Leisure ]

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    LOL

That would be SteveW I was chatting to on the RHS forum.

I ventured over there about a week ago, and was surprised at the lack of users :confused: . Some of the topics haven't been touched for months !!!

I cannot take the credit for GC being the success it is, it is down to the members, without you all, this site wouldn't be doing anything, so keep up the input [​IMG] .

5. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ive also been to the various sites,and as Nathan said they are like the Mary Celeste,and as Nathan also said it is down to the hardcore of a few members that keep this site alive,well done all of you

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,101
    So you tracked down Steve W, Nathan.
    Whats he talking to his self over there? :D

I joined about a month after I bought my computer, never touched one before that, and some of its still a misery (sorry that should be mystery) to me.
    It was a quiet little spot then, where you could log on and have a doze, and then one day it suddenly took off. I think it was its first spring when eveyrone gets itching to get going in the garden.
    Its gone from strength to strength since then. [​IMG]

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,098
    [​IMG] Why gardeners corner.....Why Not...
    I discovered GC from a couple of lines in Amateur Gardening last February...I think Nathan must have droped a few hints , anyway it did it for me and is still doing it....Just think I would never had known all these nice people and Lady of Leisure..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ 08. January 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: roders ]

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    Evening, my dearest roders ... and also to lovely Lucy.

So .... ?

9. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gc was my first forum I joined and no regrets but since this site I joined another for a good reason. 'allotments' allotments uk. as many members as gc. they only talk about allotment related topics including the weather. Just to say I am happy with both sites.

10. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,098
    [​IMG] Good evening my dear european friend LoL..Have been watching your lovely chattering through the day...What a ray of sunshine you are,have a glass for me to-night . [​IMG]

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    Saude, meu amigo!

I know you really mean my whittering on ... if you want to see whittering on, I'll send you the link the the NZ site and you'll think I'm a "dumb" blonde!

I hope you are having a pleasant evening ... I shall be disappearing for a while.

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well, I joined because I was looking for more ideas on what to do about the rabbit menace in my area. We'd been in the new house (and garden!) for about 4 months, and had tried all sorts of things to be able to plant in the front, open-plan area, and were on the point of despair as one neighbour pointed out the rabbit damage on the conifers in his garden..... And rabbit-resistant plants weren't....

So, eventually GC appeared on my list after googling something about rabbits, and I joined. This is the only forum I've ever been on - and I thoroughly enjoy it. It didn't solve my rabbit problem, but rather confirmed what I felt - the only thing to do was build fences and put chicken wire deep down - just like we'd done with the back garden. I'd resisted that because it would have meant spending rather more than �£1K! But we did it! And are now being a bit careful about money for a bit! :D

13. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I joined GC because it was there and I stayed because it is alive.

Other forums are dead or dominated by in-groups (cliques). GC, more or less, avoids the latter exclusivity and welcomes newcomers. It also gives excellent impartial advice from people who know what they are talking about. Some other forums are product led and do not allow you to recommend a rival product. I've no use for that approach at all.

Another plus is members' non-gardening interests. We are rounded individuals who also have other things in our lives. Good to share them.

14. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, obvioulsy I love gardening. But this is more than that. It's a community. Like a family. You can disappear for hours, days, weeks,even months. But you're welcomed like you've never been away when you return. I love GC. I;ve sorted out my soggy grass, bare fence and made lots of friends. Some loopier than others!! ( You know who you are!!)

15. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi there...

here are my reasons:

The name of the forum - gives you a clear enough idea of what it is about.
    It is a good decent name and not too pretentious at the same time.
    It is just by chance that I found this one first, as opposed to a different one.

the opening page - is very clean and essential,no smileys or pop-ups jumping all over the place, no bright colours to punch your eyes every time you log on, most of the topic are of my interest.

The various functions - are quick and straight forward.

The members posts - are informative and friendly , and there are very few cyber-space-wasters.

Now,... two questions, please...

the first one to Nathan, just to know what inspired the name "gardenerscorner"....?

and the second to LoL: what books do you write?