Why I decided to grow vegetables for myself

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by John122, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John122

John122 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hey all,

Despite the fact that I am relatively new on the forum, I wanted to share something. While I am rather lazy at heart, I have decided to start growing my own vegetables. Not because I am utterly in love with the concept of doing more work (please, I keep busy enough at the office) but because it helped me in a number of different reasons. I wanted to share this with you and get your own thoughts about what made you start.

It helped my health

One of the primary reasons I started growing my own vegetables was because I would actually eat the vegetables that I am growing. Most of us understand that you need to eat more veggies throughout the day, but if I do not have any vegetables in my home I have to admit that (shamefully) I am not going to go out looking for them at the supermarket every day. I have found that ever since I increased my intake of vegetables dramatically, I feel much better and I have more energy.

It reduces my environmental impact

Do not get me wrong, I still have a car and I cannot say that I have ever looked at what my carbon footprint really is. Nevertheless, growing food in my (modest) garden without pesticides and herbicides does make me feel like I am taking small steps. I am not adding to the unnecessary air or water pollution. Even though I realize I am only one person, it still makes me feel good.

The food tastes better

This is the part that really struck me the first time I noticed it – the food actually tastes better when I grow it. Maybe it is partly a placebo effect, but I have noticed that I am enjoying vegetables that I would previously only eat because ‘they were healthy’.

Those were my reasons for actually growing my own vegetables. Do you have any reasons that you could share that inspired you to get started?

The Best UK Sheds and Garden Furniture:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    You posted the exact same drivel on four other forums, all with your spam links - which appear to be pay-per-click and you, presumably, get a commission on each one. You clearly think we were all borne yesterday, whereas in fact the MODs here will report your action to Google and hopefully they will take action against you rather than just banning your account.

Either that or you are actually employed by Garden Buildings Direct and they sanctioned you spamming forums on their behalf - either way, they get a no vote from me for my next shed and furniture purchase.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/g...cided-grow-vegetables-myself.html#post1451567

http://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/why-i-decided-to-grow-vegetables-for-myself.2262/

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/breaktime/general-discussion/why-i-decided-grow-vegetables-myself

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about7107.html

and no doubt others

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,829
      WELL SPOTTED KRISTEN

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Looks like Poo
        Walks like Poo
        Quacks like Poo

then it will Smell like Poo too ...

• Funny Funny x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Thread closed. Perpetrator has been spam banned.

Thread Status:
        Not open for further replies.