Why I grow Veggies.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Vince, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I grow all my veggies from seed, adds an air of mystery to just what results you will get.

I've had my fair share of failures but that goes with the the ground (excuse pun).

Today however, is a smiley day, justification? for doing my own thing.

Sunday lunch and I fancied some roast Parsnip(s), not a lot of parsnips left in the garden so I thought I'd need to almost dig out the rest of the bed..... How wrong was I. I only needed one! well over 2" long, the root broke :( and weighing in at 13.1 oz, lucky if I made 4oz on all the previous specimens., tastes fantastic too.

What better hobby than veggie growing? :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      13lb:dbgrtmb:

Nice one Vince.

It certainly is a good hobby, not many other hobbies feed you.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      I take it you mean 2' Vince? That's very good :thumbsup:

• Vince

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,499
      Ooops, well over 2' and oh so tasty :D

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Theres probably a fair few on here that don't know what " or 1/10/- means anymore.

• madmick

madmick Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +25
    • Vince

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,499
      cut me a bit of slack, my eyesight isn't as good as it was :(

• moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
      +243
      To Heat or not to heat "greenhouse"

Evening all,
      As i said when i asked to become a member "i live to garden and enjoy the country life style,
      Well today we had visitors and the husband just cant understand anyone who gardens to feed from or gardens for the flower/shrub sights & smells.

As i was in the greenhouse when they arrived the husband made a "B" line for the greenhouse and when he saw only over wintering plants in the greenhouse and no full seed trays i was asked why?

And as i said to him it's all about cost or should i say wasted cost, ie to heat the greenhouse all winter is now very costly.

The cost of electric/ paraffin/ ect has become a serious school for thought and when you taken into account the price of young plants grown via the garden centre and letting them worry about the heating cost ect
      It works out in my mind a lot cheaper to buy some "Not all "plants from the garden centre's and grow them on, Even doing it this way you may still have to provide night heat during early spring but as by then i'll be sowing the seed trays up anyway and so the heat used is two fold.

Ive really looked into past ways of greenhouse growing and the victorian gardens used bales of straw to line the inside of the greenhouse 1xbale high to help keep the inside warmer & they even made holes in these bale's and planted the young tomatoe type plants in these holes to bring them on.
      Now having said all this whats other members views???
      Has heating the average sized greenhouse become to costly for winter use as a hot house?:fingerdrum: