Why no holly berries?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by albo, Dec 30, 2011.

1. albo

albo Apprentice Gardener

Semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an ILEX aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata' which is now about 1.5 metres tall and it's never had any berries. After a long web search asking advice, I planted a 1 metre high ILEX x meserveae 'Blue Prince' about 10 metres away a couple of years ago and it is now 1.5 metres tall but still I have no berries on the female plant. Are these plants too immature or have I got a mismatch despite the advice I got? Any help from holly "experts" appreciated!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Albo.

Don't know, but i'm sure someone will.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi and Welcome

Marginata doesnt produce that many berries , plus I think your plant is not old enough yet you need patience with hollies and more so with the varigated forms also depends if grown in full sun or not, sunny spot you will get more berries shady just the opposite, I am still waiting on Madame Briot and that is 6 years in the ground and it was at least two years old when I bought it its now 10 feet tall !!!! , like you I have planted blue prince and that has helped with my , Alaska covered in berries and has only been in 3 years plus I grow a yellow berried Baciflava and that is smoothered in berries, Blue Princess two mini standards are doing realy well.

I have pruned similar to pruning a apple tree flowers better and fruit better as well.

My choice go for Alaska but needs a polinator
    or
    JC Vantol is a self polinator if you look at my photos you will see some on their

Hope this helps

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • albo

albo Apprentice Gardener

Semi-retired
      Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the welcome, folks, and for the advice, Spruce. The Argentea is in a sunny place but it sounds like I've got a long wait to see any berries. As for pruning, the local rabbits did that last winter, believe it or not, as there was snow and ice covering the grass for weeks on end and they got really desperate! Good job the foliage is worth it, without the berries. Ah well, they say patience is a virtue!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I was rebuilding on Broomfield Church in the Quantocks, but had some small stone repairs to do on the Church at Thurloxton a few miles down the road.

Was just finishing the work when some Church ladies turned up & started chatting.

When they found out I was working at Broomfield as well, they asked if i had seen the Holly Bush there, as they had had it recognised by the RHS as a named variety due to its different leaves.

The conversation was dragging on a bit & I was in danger of missing lunch break so I decided to cut the conversation short by asking "So its Ilex Aquifolium what?"

One of them looked shocked that the builder knew something like that & just replied "Varigata"

I said "Good" packed me tools up & got in the van:heehee:

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      Hi Everyone Seasons Greetings from sunny Cyprus :hapfeet::D:D Thundery today :loll:

Only just got on line and saw this question I was under the impression it was only the male varieties that had berries :scratch::scratch:

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi Pam
      Happy New Year to you

I had a xmas card from Cyprus from a hotel I stayed in 3 years ago I cant believe they still send me one.

Its a long story with Holly as the names of the plants confuse people as they called the male plants female names and visa versa and made even more confusion with swoping them round again

Some examples are:

• Golden King is a female plant so produces flowers & berries
      • Siver Queen is a male that only produses flowers never has berries
      • Silver Milkboy is a female
      • Silver Milkmaid which is a female
      so un-less you know what you are buying it all turns into a right old mess

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Happy New Year Pams,

No, thats Seahorses:heehee:

• Like Like x 1