Why not cooked food in compost?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by NewbieGreen, Aug 15, 2007.

1. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true if i have some cooked food i cant compost it? Even if its a bit of cooked veg?

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Cooked veg is fine in the heap. Don't worry!
    Our worm bins get cooked s****s daily without any problems and even without worms cooked veg will rot down. The only possible problem could be with large amounts of cooked meat or fish which could in some situations attract vermin.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Newbie, the simple answer is, if you want mice and rats as pets then put cooked food in your compost bin. David.

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Very efficient censoring on this site. [​IMG] The auto-edited word was sc..ra..ps or small pieces ;)

5. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to wonder about that NG, so I carried on and put the cooked stuff on as well.

One day I opened the lid to find millions of cockroaches :eek: [​IMG]

Now I own a bokashi bin for composting cooked food :D

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    As a follow-up to t'other Dave's comment:
    In an accessible heap you are likely to get mice without or without cooked sc..ra...ps as it provides a nice warm des-res for the winter, particularly if it isn't too soggy. I base this on experience of finding nests of mice when turning out heaps in the spring and these heaps contained next to no cooked sc..ra...ps.
    Our two worm bins (we also have a couple of 'heaps') which are of the 'Dalek' variety and sit on the soil have now been in use for at least four years and receive nearly all our kitchen waste (as well as other stuff) and have never been hosts to any vermin. This of course may be entirely due to the quality of our cooking. :D
    Mice and rats, as far as my experience goes, will quite happily eat uncooked or cooked meals. And going by the numbers of rats flushed out of a field when corn is being harvested, they are rather partial to their breakfast cereal uncooked :D

7. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all.

I didn't think we got cockroaches in this country though do we? Well you learn something every day [​IMG]