wild Ferns

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by New Irish gardener, Aug 13, 2024.

1. New Irish gardener

New Irish gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Can I ask a potential silly question?!

As family member has a wild and fairly over grown area of a woodland and i am currently looking for some wild native ferns for a small woodland

Does anyone know when is the best time to move or is it wise to try to move wild ferns to a new woodland area??

2. ButtercupDays

ButtercupDays Gardener

Ratings:
    +74
    I have moved ferns and they are fairly forgiving if you get plenty of root and keep them well watered. Autumn or spring is best, so they don't have to maintain the foliage straight away.
    Ferns obviously think my garden is a woodland paradise as new ones grow all the time. The little ones are pretty so I often leave them be and then regret it, because they can quickly grow very large and dominating and moving them usually involves a lot of hard work and demolishing a dry-stone wall!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • micearguers

micearguers Gardener

Bits & bytes
      Ratings:
      +84
      Perhaps make sure that the ferns you lift are not bracken. Bracken can be well-behaved in woodland, but I'd still avoid it.