Wild Orchid

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Nell Meredith, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Nell Meredith

Nell Meredith Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old stone sink in my garden which has a mature collection of reeds. A new plant appeared recently which could have been a weed but as I didn't recognise it I left it alone. It has now flowered and is obviously identifiable as an orchid. I've been on line and it looks like a Southern Marsh Orchid - anybody out there know how I can ensure it stays alive? In the mean time I'm calling CSI South Wales to work out how it got there in the first place, I live in a built up area and I don't know of any local sites where it's growing naturally and considering the sink is the only permanently damp area in the garden I find myself saying - you shouldn't be here!!

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Neil, It was probably brought by a bird either as a seed on a leg or through it excreting on your old stone sink:snork:
    They're reasonably common and fairly tough and it's obviously liking the damp sink. They also like fairly chalky soil.:coffee: