Wild rabbit deterrents

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by clueless1, Oct 24, 2009.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hi all

I've been doing some research into wild rabbit deterrents, and will summarise what I've read, partly for the benefit of anyone who currently has a problem with furry demons destroying their plants and trees, and partly to see if any of you have had any experience in this sort of thing, and might be able to offer an opinion on the ideas I've found from googling about.

According to what I've read (and this is just what I've read, not based on practical experience), these things work to some degree as deterrents to wild rabbits:

* Human or dog hair collected in little bundles and placed at intervals along the perimeter - both humans and dogs are natural predators to rabbits, and the human/dog scent from the hair is supposed to make rabbits uneasy and want to retreat to a safe distance.

* Nasturtium - I've read that although nasturtium is edible to them, they don't like the smell.

* Marigold, especially drawf French - Apparently they don't like the smell. I'm especially skeptical about this one, as being edible, clearly visible (being bright orange) and not especially fragrant, I'd have thought they'd have been a definite rabbit lunch.

* Elderberry tree leaves soaked in water, then sprayed over plants - The rabbits on my land have never bothered the elders, but I suspect that's because there is so much else for them to eat.

* Daffodils - I know they won't eat daffs, but I'm skeptical about them working as a deterrent

* Foxgloves - Again I know from experience that they won't touch foxgloves, but I know they'll go near them.

Has anyone tried any of these, or other deterrents (apart from the obvious fence option)?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,493
    In the past I have tried most of those and our super rabbits laughed at them :lollol: - or ate them :(.

We put up a rabbit fence, at the back of our garden by the field, which helped to a certain extent (about 80% at a guess) :thumb: but they started coming in from the neighbours' gardens.

None of the neighbours' dogs seemed to deter them :(. Oscar, the cat that owns us, catches about one per week k-l - which has helped.

The biggest reduction in the local population has been done by one of the neighbours with his shotgun. :gnthb:

3. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I have to admit, I'm a bit skeptical about any claims about rabbit deterrents. I once read an article claiming that rabbits won't go anywhere near foxgloves. Tell that to the remains of my Rosemary and Lavender plants that were within a couple of feet of a big patch of Foxgloves. One of the furry demons even got into a section that I'd fenced off with mesh, the bottom 8 inches or so of mesh being curled out, and burried. I'm told that badgers sometimes kill rabbits, there is a badger set just beyond my boundary, I still have many rabbits.

I guess there is no single solution, I guess the trick is to adopt a range of tricks to protect your most favoured plants, and perhaps plant more than the rabbits can eat, if that's even possible.

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have decided that the only solution is to net them out. At my rented plot I have the task of inserting 100 metres of netting, luckily one side already has a fence.
    Badgers do eat rabbits. Grown ones are too fast but badgers will dig down and take baby rabbits from the nest burrows. This year shooting rabbits seems just like King Canute trying to stem the tide, there are so many. I have never seen as many rabbits as this year. In the fields as you approach it is sometimes like the whole field is moving - like a Serengetti in minature. There are loads of buzzards but i suppose there is only so much each buzzard and other predators can eat.

5. William Frederick

William Frederick Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rabbits are superb...So cute....

6. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I agree. Skinned, gutted and beheaded and stewed in red wine with onions and carrots for a couple of hours, they are superb. Best served with creamy garlic mash, or herby dumplings, and washed down with a nice glass of merlot.

Superb.

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,493
    I think they're better with mustard mash :hehe:

8. bi9johnny

bi9johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    if anyone is having problems with rabbits and lives within 35 miles of wirral please get in touch i may be able to help
    regards
    john

9. bi9johnny

bi9johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    not official but have been known to travel a bit to sort a few pests out ...taste good too rabbits pigeons squirrels both market gardens , allotments and gamekeepers :yho:

10. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
  11. bi9johnny

bi9johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    would love to give you a hand with those pesky bunny's if you interested geoff:thmb: