Wild Sweet Pea in Florida?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Kedi-Gato, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I saw this near the yacht harbour in Sarasota yesterday and collected some seed pods. The flowers, pods and seeds look like garden Sweet Peas, so I assume this is a wild form.

Can anyone please ID it further for me and say whether it is invasive or not, as I would like to grow it along part of the back wall here. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(the black thing on the second photo is a nearly black Ladybird)

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I can't say for sure if that's a wild sweet pea Kedi-Gato. The ones I had were purple.
    If it is be sure you want them before you plant them as they're almost indestructible. Mine tended to spread and were growing up through the tarmac on the (private) road. I poured weed killer on them for years - but up they came again.
    I finally did for them by dumping a load of road salt on them. Worked for mares tails too.
    But they did do lots of very pretty flowers. Unfortunately very little scent and they didn't stand at all well in a vase.

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
  4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think your sis has it right Kedi-Gato.
    And vetches are the same problem as wild sweet peas. They all look like the same family to me.
    Be sure you want it before you plant it - or you'll be back for advice.

5. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Alice and Sis - I have now changed my mind about having them. :skp: Good thing I asked here and not just planted them. I'll throw all the seeds in the garbage now.