Wildlife friendly. Any more ideas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by chkm8, May 27, 2006.

1. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Having managed my ambition of finally moving from the town back to the countryside I want to make the garden as attractive to wildlife as possible. Below is a picture and some info on what I have done plus intend to do this summer. Any other suggestions more than welcome.

Behind the swings is a row of small trees.
    Apple,Silver Birch,Rowan,Hawthorn and a red acer. A hawthorne hedge has been planted and will grow up behind the trees. To the left of the greenhouse a vegtebal plot will be planted and in the rear R corner is a compost heap. Along the fence to the L I planted a privot hedge and will be adding a wildlife pond roughly 8x5x2. Out of view is a very busy birdtable.As soon as the trees mature I will add nestboxes.
    Any suggestions as to how I can continue the wildlife friendly theme. What would you add ???

John.
    IMG
    http://www.geocities.com/gsdkarlar/garden.html?1148719377015

[ 27. May 2006, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: chkm8 ]

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You seem to be well on your way, but I can't see your photo. The basics are there and I aim to create something resembling a natural woodland glade. That doesn't mean your garden has to be huge. It means that there has to be an open area such as a lawn for blackbirds and starlings etc. Then the herbaceous level, the shrubs and then some trees. A pond is essential too. This is a good website; http://www.wildlife-gardening.co.uk/

3. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hornbeam.
    Not sure what happened the image it was there last night. Anyway I deleated it and inserted a link to view it on my web site.
    will check out the wildlife gardening url you left.
    John.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Your garden looks a really good size- room for a wild bit where nettles etc are encouraged? [​IMG]

5. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, what scope you have with that good sized garden. Get yourself a log pile the bigger the better, lots of little gaps within the stack for all those beneficial beetles.If you could site the pile close to the pond that would be even better as the frogs and toads would enjoy a shady spot to hide.Don't be tempted to put fish into your pond...I made that mistake when I did my first pond, If its truly for wildlife keep the fish out(I wish I had known that when I dug our first pond) we are just about to dig a second pond..without fish. The wildlife will soon find you. Have fun and enjoy [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    And some hoverfly/bee nest things made out of straws, and some nettles in the corner, and some wild cherries perhaps to get the harvest mice in, or alternatively an owl box to keep the rodents out?

7. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    And a v. exciting compost heap (slatted, 6ft x 4ft minimum, preferably 6ft x 8 ft x 4 ft high, and a cotoneaster or two and hawthorns or similar for autumn berries for the birds?

8. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming. I have the 8x4x4 compost heap but made the mistake of filling it with grass and now have a black slime. Will empty it and start again.There is also the hawthorne tree and hedge but the cotoneaster seems a good idea as does the log pile beside the pond. No fish will be getting near the pond, been there done that etc and after several Koi ponds want a simple wildlife pond. there are bats regularly at late evening so am thinking about a bat box or 2. Wish the trees would grow so I can get the nest boxes up.
    I might also think about the owl box as we have more than our share of field mice.

John,

9. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Seems that you are well on your way. I agree - goldfish etc are not compatible with a wildlife pond. As regards the compo heap - grass clippings are ok if you alternate with rougher stuff such as nettles and kitchen waste

10. Geometer

Geometer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chkm8
    There is plenty of scope for encouraging wildlife in a garden that size, it all depends on how far you want to go with it. You say you've planted a hawthorn hedge - is that along the fence line in the background? Hawthorn is good, but for best results, it shouldn't comprise more than about 70% of a hedge intended to attract wildlife, the remainder being a selection of native shrubs/trees like hazel, field maple, blackthorn, spindle etc., and non-natives like Berberis and Pyracantha for berries. Once established, underplant with hedgerow plants and native climbers.

Within the boundary, think in terms of creating habitats. As Hornbeam observes; ecologically, gardens most resemble woodland glades, and it's the wildlife of woodland-edge habitat that is most successful at colonising gardens (with some notable exceptions).

Plenty of sound suggestions already made, here are some more:
    Plant native trees for coppicing.
    Include a wetland/bog garden in the design of your pond.
    Plant a nectar border in a sunny spot near the house.
    Convert part of the lawn into a wildflower meadow.
    If you have spare wall or fence space, fix trellis panels to it on 10cm battens and plant climbers - the gap creates space for birds to nest, and a place for insects to overwinter.

Nestboxes - Ideally, best on mature trees, but you can fix some on the north or east facing walls of the house, for blue tits, sparrows, starlings and swifts; and tuck one or two open-fronted boxes behind the trellis already mentioned, for blackbirds, robins, wrens or pied wagtails or, if you're really lucky, spotted flycatchers.

An excellent book on the subject: "Creating a wildlife garden", Bob and Liz Gibbons, Hamlyn.

Keep up the good work [​IMG]
    Geometer

11. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Geometer
    Yes the Hawthorne hedge now in its 2nd year is along the fence line in the background. It stops about 15ft short of the R side of the garden where there is an 8ft compost heap and a large holly bush. In front of it is a selection of trees. Maple, Hawthorne, Apple, Rowan and a silver birch.
    The pond will hopefully go in next week and I hope to include a wetland area.
    Thanks for the tips I will also have a look at the book you mentioned. I also just purchased How to make a Wildlife garden by Chris Baines. Great book.

John.

12. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My problem isn't how to attract wildlife but how to stop the brambles, nettles, bracken etc encroaching into the 'garden'.......a constant battle!