Wildlife / trail cameras

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Loofah, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,143
    I've thought about this before but recently come back to the idea; has anyone used a wildlife or trail camera before? Thought it might be fun to film a bit of nocturnal action...

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,078
      Get one.

I got one a few months back. Second night caught a picture and video of the heron thats been freaking the fish out. The flash must have scared it and its never come back since, great.

A few visits from a badger and a couple of visits from a local young fox too. Winter should be interesting and will try moving it around a bit. Might get some deer in the wood if lucky.

• Like Like x 2
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        68329282-D008-4DA9-BCAA-A50C299BFCBE.jpeg 5E658A3E-C76F-49C3-B4B2-E3EE0C35B78F.jpeg @Loofah Mr Kandy bought me one last Christmas and have had great fun watching the hedgehogs coming for a visit every evening and one night there were two males scrapping with each other whilst the female was curled up in a ball.:biggrin:

One thing though we don’t leave it set up if torrential rain is forecast as the instructions says not to let water get inside it,oh and if you buy one get yourself rechargeable batteries and a charger as it can soon drain the power if you have it running for too long each time the camera is triggered.You can either review it on tha cruel monitor on the trail cam or it can be downloaded onto your computer.:smile:

I have even suggested to Mr Kandy that we set it up over at our allotment to see if we can capture the nightly visits from the bunnies,fox and cats that visit the plots:snorky:

I have included a couple of photos of my cam so you can see inside and outside of it and you also get straps with it so you can tie it to trees and posts etc but they can be a bit of a faf every day undoing it and redoing it up.You can just get the memory card out without untying the cam but it can get a bit fiddly so I end up taking the whole lot off to bring indoors to dry off if we have had some light rain.

You can see my memory card which is the little blue thing in the bottom left hand corner.My web cam cost £60 off of Amazon:smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Loofah

Ratings:
          +21,143
          They certainly sound fun! Can I ask what spec cameras you have? I've seen some with 12, 14 and 16mp so presume more mp would be better

• Useful Useful x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,459
            I use cctv with wired cameras, the cameras are 2mp
            Hedgehog Badger.jpg

vlcsnap-2018-08-01-15h32m58s265.jpg

• Like Like x 1
            • Loofah

Ratings:
              +21,143
              Badget hanging out with Mrs Tiggywinkle!