Will Hedera Colchica grow in full shade?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dicemanc, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Dicemanc

Dicemanc Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As per title, the bottom of my garden sees no sunlight due to a neighbour's trees - and therefore I have patio'd it for use with an arbour and pot plants. However I would like a climber to cover the bare (north facing) fence and arbour and have pretty much decided on ivy.

I would prefer Hedera Colchica (Dentata Variegata and/or Sulphur Heart), as they produce berries for the birds, but the RHS website states that these only grow in part shade. I have, however, seen numerous other websites which state that they will grow in full shade, and another which suggested that it would grow in full shade but without much variegation or berries!

So I am confused.... Does anyone have any experience of successfully growing Colchica in full shade, or do I need to be looking for another type of ivy (or even another climber altogether?)

Thanks, in advance, for all your help,
    Col.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Dicemanc. :) I don't think there will be a problem wherever you plant this ivy regarding shade/sun, but as a word of warning this and most ivies are vigorous growers and will soon become rampant in your garden. They are also very difficult to get rid of once they are established. Any roots left in the ground will re-shoot and they are also very difficult to kill.

Personally, I wouldn't introduce any ivy to my garden for the above reasons.

3. Dicemanc

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Sheal,

Many thanks for your reply and advice about ivy. Are there any alternative climbers that you would recommend for this position?

I have been using the Plant Selector on the RHS website to try and narrow down the options - but for a hardy climber on a north facing fence in full shade the only option they give is ivy! (and I really don't want a bare fence!)

Thanks again,
    Col.

4. Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,631
    :sign0016: to Gardeners Corner Dicemanc - Have a look at Akebia quinata (Chocolate Vine) it's a really pretty vine that will do well on a north facing wall. It's guite vigorous and produces lovely chocolate flowers in autumn. It prefers sun but can tolerate shade. Have a read up on it and see what you think!

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Sulphur heart would look lovely, it does pretty well with next to no sun in my friends garden, but you coul also use an Akeebia as suggested, Climbing Hydrangaer, you could even maybe try the honeysuckle mint Crisp.. So you have them intertwining perhaps.. Have a look here..

6. Dicemanc

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello again. Thanks so much for the suggestions - there's certainly some great alternatives to ivy there... Now I need to make a decision!!

Thanks again for all your help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
      Ratings:
      +10,740
      Good suggestion from Marley there re the climbing Hydrangea (Hydrangea petiolaris).

It's quite happy in full shade and is nowhere near as invasive as ivy. As a bonus, the creamy white flower heads are attractive and fragrant. The dry, papery heads also remain on the plant long after flowering and so continue to provide interest right through autumn and winter.

It does sometimes require a little support as it gets larger to stop it falling away from a fence or arbour as it's more of a 'clinger' than a climber. Overall though, it's much easier to contain than ivy and provides more interest throughout the year. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,887
        I've been considering a climbing Hydrangea for some while myself. Does anyone know what sort of root spread they have please as I have a gas pipe (although set in concrete) close to the area I'd want to plant. :)

• Dicemanc

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks everyone - it looks like a climbing Hydrangea will be the best bet.

Just one more question if I may - from the photos I have seen it looks quite weighty, and the fence it will be climbing is the wooden panel type stuck between two concrete posts (with trellis attached). It's not too flimsy, but it's certainly not a sturdy fence...

On the basis that I don't let it get too bushy, I assume that fully grown hydrangea won't break my fence!

Thanks again,
        Col.