1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Will kiln dried sand (from newly relaid block paving/patio) spoil soil?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by larkstar, Oct 10, 2017.

1. larkstar

larkstar Apprentice Gardener

Private tutor
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a noticeable dusting of all of my topsoil from all the sand the builders whacker-plated into the gaps between the block paving - they seem to have used more sand than necessary IMHO so it's all over the place - I'm having to scrape it out from around drains etc but wondered if I need to go to the trouble of trying to scrape it off the soil? Is it really going to do the soil any harm - we have sandy slightly acid soil FWIW. What do you reckon? Leave it, dig it in it or scrape it off?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener

Ratings:
    +16,935
    I'd scrape it off, the sand will be laden with salts which will damage any plants. Of course it depends what plants you have, some are tougher.

3. larkstar

larkstar Apprentice Gardener

Private tutor
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John for the prompt reply - it's not what I wanted to hear TBH. The newly created borders where turf has been removed currently have no plants in them. I need a ton of topsoil to fill two newly created raised beds so I know I'll have a bit left over - hopefully I can find a recommendation for a supplier somewhere on here - it's a job getting anyone to answer the phone or reply to a contact form these days.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener

Ratings:
    +16,935
    If you haven't planted anything yet then there is no hurry. Sand in itself won't do any harm. In fact you can buy horticultural sand which is simply a washed gritty samd which is good for soil improvement. If all you have is less than an inch then it probably won't harm, can you easily scrape it off?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

joinery
    Ratings:
    +17,827
    Personally I wouldn't worry, it will wash through once the winter rains begin.
    I use builders sharp sand all the time in potting compost and never had a problem, I know the kiln dried stuff is finer and slightly different, more like silver sand.