Will ladybird eggs survive on a cut leaf?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by harrisonamy, Sep 28, 2010.

1. harrisonamy

harrisonamy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I have a parsley plant that was covered in aphids, and surprisingly found a ladybird in the hallway or my flat block.

I popped her on the plant and she seems happy enough.

She laid eggs on one of the leaves, but me not knowing what they were cut the leaf as I was going to cook with it.

I've sort of put the leaf back in with the other leaves but wonder what the chances of survival are for Barbara's babies.... (Yes, we named her:wink:).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :gnthb:

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm assuming that any ladybird eggs laid now will not hatch until next year because if they hatched now, there would be little or no food for the larvae to eat.

The cut parsley leaf will shrivel and die soon and leave nothing to support the eggs.

Can you transfer the eggs to a living plant? I've no idea but I suspect not.

Maybe someone who knows more about this can correct me if I've made the wrong assumptions.