Will 'Purple Sage' Re-Grow if cut down to Ground Level?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Kevin Cowans, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,130
    Hello all

I hope you are well.

I am just getting back into the Garden after some time.

I have spent the last few Days, between Rain Showers, Weeding, Weeding and more Weeding.

I discovered Today that the 'Purple Sage' in the Border outside the Back Door has been damaged on the Main Stalk a few Inches above Ground Level, probably during the Landscaping which was done last Year.

I thought that the Plant was just Dormant over Winter but after a closer look it appears to be Dead.

Does anyone know if 'Purple Sage' will grow back if I Cut Back to just below the damage?

There is also a small section that has Layered successfully so I could always cut that section off and move it.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I've got a feeling that sage doesn't like cutting back into hard old wood, I seem to remember doing that once and the plant died.
    A bit similar to lavender in that respect.

If its dead above you cant really do much harm cutting back just below the broken part and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,130
      Hello @pete

I had a feeling that was the case.

I will cut the Main Plant back to below the damage and will keep the Layered Section.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1