Willow tree help

Discussion in 'Trees' started by p111dom, Jul 4, 2011.

1. p111dom

p111dom Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, I have a problem with what I believe is a small willow tree. I'm not really green fingered so I'm at a bit of a loss. The leaves on this tree have developed brown, raised ovals on the tops of the leaves in clusters of 4 or 5 per leave. These continue throught the leaf to the underside where they are even more raised but are light green in colour. They almost look like lava or grubs of some description but are very hard to the touch and there's no sign of any movement. I've googled to try and find out what the problem is but have been unable to find any pictures of willow deseases, only descriptions but I can't really tell if these fit. Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be and how I would treat it? Can I post pictures straight from the off on this forum?

Cheers

Dom

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Dom and Welcome to the forum:)

It sounds to me that they are scale insects and I have put up a link to a photo which might help.
    Scale Insect
    I have never had them on outdoor plants,only indoor once and i went round squashing them as there is a grub inside which protects itself with the scale type shell on it's back.

As I have never had this problem on any of my outdoor plants I don't know what sprays to suggest but someone no doubt will be along soon to advise you on the best course of action.

And yes you can photos straight off so any piccys will help identify the problem:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • p111dom

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks Kandy. They look similar but not the same. The link says 2-4mm. These are bigger, probably 5-6mm.

• p111dom

Ratings:
      +1
    • p111dom

Ratings:
      +1
      I've posted some pics but it says they have to have moderator approval so they should appear as and when.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi
      It may be willow rust , this has pustules all over and under the leaf ,
      ift its a small tree bush you could spray witha rose fungicide which should help

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • p111dom

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks Spruce. It is a small tree so that might be possble. I'll just wait for the pictures to come up to have the diagnosis confirmed and I guess take it from these.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        It sounds like you have a kilmarnock willow is it about 4 / 5 feet high and weeps over , I know what you mean about the lumps and bumps on the leaves as the wild pussy willow that grows along the river at the bottom of my garden has it every year.

I have two weepimng willows and all the leaves started to drop off , and I increased the watering and sprayed with the rose fungicide within two weeks it look tottaly diffrent .

Lets see what opthers have to say ???

I have just read up on Kimarnock rust on google have a look and they do get scale insect as well !!!

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
        • p111dom

Ratings:
          +1
          It's actually very low lying at maybe two feet. It's more wide than tall and spreads out acorss the ground. I planted it 5 years ago from pretty much just a twig. I guess I should have been pruning it so it wasn't weighed down. Then it may have been taller. Simply don't know.

• p111dom

Ratings:
          +1
        • p111dom

Ratings:
          +1
        • p111dom

Ratings:
          +1
          Sorry about the one post per picture but when I tried to add them to the same post, they appeared side by side as opposed to one on top of eachother meaning you'd have to scroll to see them all and it made the forum board look untidy. I hope the images are clear enough.

Thanks

Dom

[​IMG]