Wilting rhodedendron

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andytommo, Apr 3, 2005.

1. andytommo

andytommo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this is my first post, I would appreciate some advice about my wilting rhodedendron which is one year old. Last year it was great, this year it seemed to be going from strengh to strengh but the last few days it is wilting more and more.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi andytommo
    Shame about the rhody - It could be just dry, but need more info - got any pics? What sort of situation is it growing in? (soil - pH, dry, moist, well drained, soggy etc, texture, clay/sand/silt/loam etc) + what position (sun, shade, open, sheltered etc). Any symptoms other than wilting - marks on leaves, insects etc? Does it have any buds.

3. andytommo

andytommo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bayleaf, thanks for the quick response. I have tried moving it to a sunnier position, I think this has made things worse. Up til now it has been very happy in a part sun/part shade position (no sun at this time of year though). Is planted in Ericatious soil and has been fine, I have reguarly fed with Ericatious feed, though I hav'nt for a couple of weeks since I noticed the wilting.
    There are buds and until a couple of weeks ago I was happy with its progress.
    I will be able to photograph tomorrow. I hope this is of help.
    Andy

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Most rhodys like dappled shade (woodland plants). Check its not planted too deep - ideally you should be able to feel them with your fingers when you stroke the soil. & they like well drained conditions - I grow them on acid sandy soil one at the side of my house where it only gets sun in late afternoon & one in a south-east facing position - they love it. I never feed them either, but they are quite large & well established. I do dead head them after flowering so that the energy goes into next years flowers & not into seed production - the dead heads are sticky but its quite satisfying with a glass of chilled white! [​IMG]

5. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Check it's roots this is the time of year when you notice the effects of vine weevils,(c shaped grubs about 1 cm/ 1/4 inch long with a tan colouer head)They like rhodys and azaleas and geraniums and stawberies and harkenechloa macra aureola and sisyrinchiums and..does anyone know of anything they don't like? :mad:

6. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do they like chilli peppers? [​IMG]

7. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    If you find an adult vine weevil wearing a sombreo then it probably has been eating chillis Mrs Cloudy.