Windchimes

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Slinky, May 25, 2008.

1. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have windchimes in your garden??? If so is there a story behind them.

I was not a big fan of these things until my mother brought me back some chimes from Bulgaria, I must say that they sound fantastic but are not that pleasing to the eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lelly

lelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My next door neighbour has a few and they sound lovely when they get going, just not at 3.00am in the morning!

3. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I have two very small sets of chrome ones. I have had many over the years. Ones made of wood, sea shells, metal, bamboo and even clay. The theory is that they are supposed to lull you into a sense of tranquility with their tones. Apparently you can have them made to make music to your own design too.

4. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I love wind chimes but don't own any because we live in a windy place and they drive me mad at night :) I do have a habit of buying them for relatives though.

Most large garden centres stock a well known brand (that I can't remember the name of:o) and I love to try them all out.

5. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine are in the garden hanging off a tree on the other side of the house. They sound fab AND dont disturb my sleep.

6. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some beautiful sounding seashell ones. However, the wind does swirl round our tiny garden a bit so they can be soooo annyoing at night - I rarely put them out!!

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    We've got one. It's made of slices of green Agate. We bought in Crete as a memento of a lovely holiday. It has the most soothing tone I've ever heard but we bring it in at night and when it's very windy;). It's fairly delicate and we're afraid of it getting damaged. When it's indoors the g-children can make it chime by blowing on it, its very sensitive to air movement but that's probably the position of the slices:)

8. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Next door has "TWO" sets hanging up and a blasted cat.

When they go on their Hols or away for a few days,I have the keys to the house and also look after the garden; the perisher goes into a cattery, pity it was not kennels and I take the chimes down.

Peace and quiet for a few days for us long suffering neighbours!

But "SHE" does not take the hint, and "HE" has to put them up once again, when they return!

And the pest is brought back as well.

And they have the cheek to say "I am a wonderful neighbour".

Cherrio

9. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this one for my other half (sorry it's not a very good pic)

[​IMG]

the string hangs down even lower than the pic shows and has a piece of wood which catches in the wind and knocks the horizontal bar against the vertical ones

10. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They look fantastic Dizi...........Where did you get them from?

11. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    From the christmas market in lincoln the Christmas before last - I've never seen them anywhere else, and when I went back to the Christmas market last christmas I couldn't see them!

It is lovely though, the elephant looks like he's dancing when the wind catches the chimes

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I like the idea of wind chimes and would consider them a gentle reminder of nature when a slight breeze is about. However, some of those big jobbies that Garden Centres sell do make me worry with their drainpipe sized tubes and dongs like Big Ben! Poor neighbours to those who purchase them.

I haven't yet found a windchime which I like enough to buy - I think the resonance, tone and pitch is an extremely personal thing and everyone is different in what they appreciate - this is what makes them a very interesting item. All our lug 'oles have different needs!

Good idea for a thread Slink!

13. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would also think about buying some. My wife loves them, but I would also be worried about it waking me up. My neighbour has one and when it's quite windy, hers wakes me up.
    I just think if I bought one, I would put it up for a couple of days, then take it down and welcome it to it's new home...the shed drawer!!!

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I must confess I have never owned one myself although did like to see them in other's gardens (notice how I write DID) when we moved to our present home one of our neighbours had a few in her garden along with 4 cats strange how she has now got rid of her cats and her windchimes have come down too.

I found out in my long hard quest of how to keep cats at bay from our garden that cats and windchimes don't mix well together no wonder her cats liked to do their 'thing' in my gardens!:mad:
    Maybe I should get another cat and hang wind chimes up in my garden now :confused:
    Pay back Hel's style! :DHel.xxx.

15. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Update.............................I was at a car boot last weekend and got some new wind chimes,these little rippers were £7

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have kept the old ones just moved them to the top of the garden as mine is on a slope:)