1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Window 10 - New upgrade version 1709

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Gail_68, Dec 30, 2017.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,327
    Mine loads then I sign in and off we go. Always done that, at home, even back to Windows XP; work is a bit different and there sign on and wait for computer to find a slot in the network.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,153
      Not quite sure what you mean by "load before signing in" are you talking about your initial power on in the morning or do you leave yours switched on all the time? Do you mean "Load" the same as "Boot" ?

Mine has always behaved the same, it boots up (loads?) to the Windows log on screen when I first power on,then I have to sign in. Mine is a HP laptop and is my work PC and I agree it will vary from PC to PC/laptop to laptop and even your own software configuration. My works laptop is stuffed full of anti-virus and other security software which really slow down the start up and general running of the laptop anyway.

I still haven't had to update my home PC yet, which also behaves the same way. After it is powered up both my machines will log me off after 10 minutes of inactivity, then I have to sign in again - but that is always instant. On my home PC I don't use bad anti-virus* software or have loads of apps on startup so my home PC is very quick.

(*bad anti-virus software - I mean products that really slow down a windows machine, I use a whitelist and hosts file and a hardware firewall as protection instead).

Got to say I maybe spoke too soon about 1709 being he same, this morning I am having problems with Outlook it keeps forgetting my password and asking for it again and again :wallbanging:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      My PC upgraded to W10 ver. 1709 about 3 weeks ago . No real problems , but it changed my display settings. It took quite a few attempts to get my monitor display looking OK again.
      Anyone know of any good monitor calibration software? (free :snorky:)

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,483
        I'm useless with the tech side but for my home computer (the only one I have) I don't see any point in having passwords to log on to the computer or the programmes. It is only for important sites that I have passwords that may be complicated and they are either in my head or, in very few cases, encrypted elsewhere.

Anti-virus software etc. is updated regularly throughout the day and checks everything all the time. Sometimes the computer slows down if they want to do their checks at the same time. So I make myself a cuppa :coffee: :thumbsup: (this only, usually, occurs when starting up as it does an automatic back-up to three different drives on start-up - paranoid, or what? :heehee:)

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          @NigelJ Mines always been switch on then sign in straight away, then loading after but very quickly but since this new update, it's loading first then I sign in :)

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            @shiney I've got mine with a password because of the granddaughter mate, as she's very forward in technical in working pc's and I hate my stuff being touched :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
              Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,203
              Hi @Gail_68

You said earlier your laptops was a HP.

Just been reading my regular computer magazine and it says there is a potential problem with a Keylogger that HP has installed in many of their pcs.

You can see details of it here and how to check with HP if your machine is affected and how to download a patch from HP if needed.
              HP laptops vulnerable to keylogging attacks — here’s what you need to do now | Trusted Reviews

I get these two informative fortnightly titles, just £2 each, aimed at ordinary folk, not just computer nerds; also includes consumer help and product reviews etc etc.
              Computer Active and Web User, both at most large bookstores and supermarkets.

hth

• Like Like x 2
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                @ricky101 :cheers:mate for the extra info...in case I need it :)

• Like Like x 1