Window Sill Plants and Cats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ryanuk, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ryanuk

ryanuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

This is not really a "gardening" question, but I would definitely call myself a newbie. I live in a flat now, with my wife and step-daughter, no garden sadly. However, we do have window sills and I miss having something growing! :)

We finally have our new family member, a kitten, so I decided now is the right time as I will keep her at the forefront of my mind when choosing plants.

I've done some research and it turns out there are a lot of plants cats are toxic to, but quite a few herbs they aren't. I would love to grow some again. Our kitchen window faces west and living room window faces south.

After my research, I was thinking of basil, thyme and oregano, as these seem cat safe and suitable for growing indoors. However, I am conscious that these might attract our kitten and she will eat them.

Any advice is appreciated on dealing with this, if it happens. I thought about growing something next to the plants just for the cat. Thanks in advance.

I am also a bit stuck about what non-edible green plant to choose. Possibly a spider plant or button fern, as these both appear to be safe.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I don't think any of those herbs will be a problem for the kitten, even if she eats them. Cats are usually very happy with catmint but they do like to lie on top of it so you would need a big pot.

Houseplants are not my thing but @longk might be able to advise. :) (This will have given him a call :blue thumb:)

• Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      I think that we all grow poisonous plants here without harm to our family or pets so it's not much of an issue. Children are at more risk than animals as a cat (for example) is less likely to be so stupid!
      I'm not being dismissive, but I've always had cats and dogs and grow things like Datura and Oleander. At the moment I have two cats; Sage who is approaching her twentieth birthday and Salem who is eleven.

As Shiney says herbs will be safe, but it does rather depend on the aspect of the window as to whether they will do well. Supermarket orchids are more tolerant and low maintenance. Or if you have a Lidl near you they are selling small succulents such as Aloe and Haworthia species for three quid at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
      • ryanuk

ryanuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Many thanks to both of you. I might have been worrying a bit too much, my mind is much more at ease now. :) We have a Lidl not too far away, so I will stop by when I am next off work.

Good point about kids. My stepdaughter is 11, but like any kid she learns the hard way usually. :snork: