Windows 10 will run out of support in October 2025

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by simone_in_wiltshire, Aug 4, 2024.

1. simone_in_wiltshire

simone_in_wiltshire Keen Gardener

A sort of Senior
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Many of you probably have switched to Windows 11 in the meantime, but some may still stick to Windows 10 and are not aware of the changes that will happen next year.

The official end for Windows 10 is the 14th of October 2025. Sounds like a long time and nothing to worry about, but I generally recommend to plan ahead as there are financial costs involved in some cases.
    - Windows 11 runs only on systems made after 2018. Here is a checklist: AMD processors and Intel processors. If your processor is not supported, you would need to buy a new computer (laptop/PC).
    - Most of the issues with Windows 10/11 are down to the non-updated BIOS, drivers and firmware.
    Regularly check with your system's manufacturer what updates they have in offer.
    Since 2020, Microsoft has turned Windows upside down and that's why the hardware needs regularly be updated. Many printers needed a firmware update when Microsoft changed the print support in Windows in 2022.
    - In my experience, if one OS runs out of support, there will be a high demand in new computers and prices go up. If your system is older and can't get Windows 11 installed, have a look at shops what specifications and prices new systems have got to be prepared.
    Windows 11 uses heavily AI and a 16 GB RAM system for simple computer tasks, and 32 GB RAM for stuff like video-editing are recommend. Don't invest into a 8GB RAM system, there will be no RAM left to work with your own programs.
    - Many newer software can be updated and runs on Windows 11. Some older software eventually needs to be purchased again, which is also to consider as a strain on your pocket.
    - Microsoft started working on a new type of processor like Apple did with M processors. It had set a target for 2025/2026.
    What happened to Apple systems in 2020 was that M processor systems were cheaper, but Intel systems were hard to get and especially, the price went up. Apple now only ships with M processors.
    That required that all of the software needed to be changed to this new kind of processor.
    It might be that offered Windows systems also suddenly change next year.

What happens if you stay with Windows 10?
    - Microsoft will probably not take actions as it did in 2015, but there will regularly pop up a reminder.
    - Your browsers will no longer be updated and fall out of support which means that you will have less and less access to your daily browsing life (won't happen with gardenerscorner, but your online banking and other websites).

What happens if you organise a Windows 11 in the internet that ignores an old system?
    - There are indeed such copies and some people install them just to find out that nothing works, because Windows 11 can't work with their hardware.

2. cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    We use Windows 7 together with Firefox and IBM Trusteer Rapport. It still works! Of course I have my smartphone as a backup, but don't like to use it for banking.

This Windows upgrading is a pain that the Gov needs to sort out, as using the Internet is now essential. It needs regulating - let's call it OffIT.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,460
      OffIT! :loll: Love it!

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,873
        There will be many folks who will either stick with 10 or will flip to an OS like Linux as they are fed up of MS and their nonsense updates. Locking out older PC's was a bad move, both in terms of consumer affordability and also environmentally.

• Like Like x 1
        • simone_in_wiltshire

simone_in_wiltshire Keen Gardener

A sort of Senior
          Ratings:
          +2,783
          I wrote this thread while testing LinuxMint22, because my distro is no longer what it used to be.
          Nevertheless, that was said when Win7 run out of support in 2020 and almost all continued using Windows.

• Like Like x 1
          • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,992
            I have been using Linux since I got hit by a virus whilst using Windows - it was Windows Vista so I've been with Linux a long time. My favoured distribution is Kubuntu. Still have to use Windows at work and I hate it, we have all sorts of corporate nonsense on top of the Microsoft pain.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
              Ratings:
              +458
              When I started in IT support, Windows 3.1 was the operating system of choice and occupied 3 floppy disks each with a capacity of 1.44 mb. Yes you read that right folks. Total installation would take 10 to 15 minutes max.

• Like Like x 2
              • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,992
                I used to have to install a database system that came on 32 floppy disks; you had to sit there all day waiting for it to prompt for the next disk, and then make sure you gave it the right one ...

I also date from the era when floppy disks were genuinely floppy.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +23,827
                  My old BBC-B had a 5 1/4" floppy. Proper paper thin stuff. Think I used it to play Chucky Egg:scratch: Printer was a daisywheel that could wake the dead.

I have no thoughts on the constant updates and upgrades, it's simply part of IT life.

• Like Like x 2
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +122,365
                    I remember replacing my Sinclair ZX with the Spectrum. :old:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +48,926
                      I'm afraid I pre-date floppy disks. I started on mainframes entering programs and data on punched cards. Us mortals were never allowed near the computer which was locked away in a massive air conditioned room with no windows. We could see into the ante room where the punch card readers were and the operators, men with beards who couldn't speak to anyone of a lower order like me, they didn't make eye contact just pointed to in-trays for our deck of cards. Within a week my cards would be read and a 132 column print out waiting in my pigeon hole. Usually the run had failed because of a stray punch in the wrong place or a card out of order. There was no interaction with the computer, jobs were run in batches.

Eventually the next generation arrived and punch cards had gone, instead we wrote out our programs and data on coding sheets. These were processed by a typing pool, the girls produced magnetic tapes which were again processed in batches.

Eventually we got mid range machines that were the fore runners of personal computers. They didn't need air-conditioning nor operators and we could communicate interactively with a teletype machine. To boot them up involved keying in a boot strap program via a set of toggle switches. This was the instructions to load the operating system from a reel of paper tape. It even had removeable disks, big things looking like curling stones only heavier. We could now take our programs with us.

Things have and will keep progressing. I've got Win 10 and my old pc won't run 11. Time for an upgrade next year for me.

• Like Like x 5
                      • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
                        Ratings:
                        +458
                        Blimey, we are showing our ages now. I started on mainframe computers too. Kids today will never believe that it had 64k main memory in a cabinet about 5 feet long, 4 feet high and 2 feet deep. The processing cabinet was at least twice that size.
                        We had the same 'curling stone' removable disks which had multiple platters and were cleaned with alcohol on a foam rubber stick, for want of a better description.

• Like Like x 4
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +122,365
                          upload_2024-8-4_15-27-51.png

• Funny Funny x 5
                          • Agree Agree x 2
                          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                            Ratings:
                            +32,952
                            I thought it was said that windows 10 was going to be the last just upgardes or did i dream that??

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                            Ratings:
                            +51,873
                            That was said of 11, not 10

• Informative Informative x 2