Windows Defender Vs AVG Security

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Gail_68, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've always had AVG on any computer I've had but with windows 10 you get Windows Defender but the AVG when scanning used to pic up Cookies...you get none of this with the Windows Defender.

I want to swap but hubby says leave well alone :dunno:

Members comments on what they think is the best out the two please for tracking :what:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Used to use AVG long , long ago, but as a rule they say do not run two anti virus programs together.

They say W10 Defender is a lot better than of old, but instead of AVG you can run Malwarebytes Free stand alone scanner which is very popular.

Another good one is the scanner is from ESet, but takes a long time to check a full system.

Have used many free AV products but now do not have the inclination to keep moving from one suite to another, so have moved to a paid for full suite, Norton, just £22 for 5 devices, pc / phones etc from Agros.

It just runs and seems to work very well for us, I do run the above one off scanners now and then just to check Norton is doing its stuff, but they always come back clean.

When you say Cookies, I think you really mean Pups, but you can again use a free program like PiriForms CCleaner which removes Cookies and all other trash at the click of a button.

CCleaner or similar programs should be run before you open your brower and go to a banking site and then straight after you have left that banking site, close the browser and run Ccleaner again so you leave no traces of where you have been, use it like that for every key banking site you visit to help protect yourself.

hth

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      I have Windows defender. Never have any problems.

Firefox lets you remove your search history if you want to and cookies.

I go through mine every evening before I close down my laptop. It only takes a minute.
      Every site you go on leaves a cookie. I selectively delete all other than those I need to retain which store passwords.
      I think the fewer programmes you have running around on your laptop, the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,258
        I use Windows Defender and haven't had any problems,but please bear in mind I am not a computer wizard,I found that what ever other antivirus software I used it slowed me down and at my age I'm slow enough as it is:lunapic 130165696578242 5::old:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          :thankyou:@ricky101 for you reply and other members.

I'm keeping with Windows defender as you can't remove it from windows 10 anyway but I still downloaded AVG yesterday did another deep scan and laptop ok, so removed it mate then...i'm being straight i'm a bit over board regarding security :loll:

A friend came to see my hubby yesterday and he does the technical security on pc's for companies, spoke with him and he said Windows defender is good but to get the best of AVG then it's the paying lark:dunno: and when I told him I had HP built in security with my Laptop besides Trusteer and Windows Defender ….[​IMG] he :snorky:

I've got my browsing history clicked on...so it clears automatic when turning off but other wise the speed of my laptop is fast.

:thankyou: Everyone for your replies :cheers:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          Hi,

Glad you are happy with your set up :smile: , there are so many combinations to choose from.

Would just suggest you also run a 20 second cleaner program once a day and say once a week run a different stand alone scanner as they often can pick up little things others do not.

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

Free Antivirus Replacement & Anti-Malware Tool

Assume you also are protecting yourself by doing regular System Image backups, so if you get badly infected or your hardware fails you can soon restore and carry on ?

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

The above programs are very well known and used and if you want to follow up on such security things then these well know sites like these have loads of info and advice.

Bleeping Computer Technical Support Forums

UK forum of UK magazines Web User and Computer Active, stocked in supermarkets - both very informative on computers/tech stuff in general, written for normal folk not just computer nerds.
          Web User Forums

• Like Like x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi @ricky101 , I've book marked your reply mate as this is very handy and if I had to there's one link I would use and it's this one
            CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

Regarding this question you asked - Assume you also are protecting yourself by doing regular System Image backups, so if you get badly infected or your hardware fails you can soon restore and carry on ?
            You don't get it with windows 10 so that's another issue I will look at :)

ricky the links you've given if I want to download any do they come with add-ons as I find them annoying mate.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            I have used various ones. Norton was the worst. I am the guy in the corner with the tall pointed hat on and the letter D. Computers and me don't mix. When using Noeton, I'd get messages that this and that was wrong. Would you like Norton to fix it. Yes go a head. In time I would get a message that so much of my HD had been done away with. I changed to AVG and made friends with a guy onthere who helped a lot. In time my pc ended up inthe shop. Webroot was suggested. I have used it ever since. Truthfully I have no idea what is best.

• Like Like x 2
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,184
              Hi,

They are all well known programs and clean in that respect, though do double check any program loading instructions in case they have added anything new since I last loaded them in.

MalwareBytes often comes with a free months trial of the Pro Version and will give reminder pop ups, but just go to its Settings, Accounts Details and turn the Pro Trial off.

CCleaner has a Registry Cleaner option , but some suggest never using that function, I used to, but have not for a long time.

Think you have a laptop, so expect you have recovery partitions etc from HP, but the beauty of a system image is you can take images at any time, and always before a W10 spring or autumn upgrade, so you can quickly restore back if things go wrong, as they seems to be doing these days.

I mess about on my desktop had have often been saved hours of reinstalling work by being able to do a quick system image restore.

You just need a decent sized USB 3 external drive and a small usb stick for the restore boot drive.
              You can of course use the USB drive for backup of any other files / photos etc.

hth

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Mike I have 3 running on my laptop and i'm keeping to those...windows defender / HP security and Trusteer which is good on tracking and soon blocks stuff :)

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Ricky I do have recovery D drive which is used plus everything added to cloud account...so my stuff backed up that way and we have USB sticks with images on...so I think it's covered mate...just looked in the the pc it self.

• Like Like x 1
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,184
                  Hi,

Think it was Nortons own recurring payment system that used top put off it before, but now you can buy it cheaper from Agros.

Have to say , once you have found your way around it, it seems fairly quiet and generally am not aware if it running, and it does seem to keep me clean.

Though at the end its what you feel happy with and can relate to :) though again would always suggest you run an occasional stand alone scanner, as mentioned above, to ensure its not missed any nasties.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,184
                    Hi,

Well I'm rather too suspicious of many modern things, don't use the cloud or even wifi:old:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Hi ricky got no choice mate as I have a kindle and with it comes a cloud account so books are stored in case you by another reader then they automatically download on to it and wifi comes with internet :)

• Like Like x 1