Winter care for roses in containers?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Val.., Aug 4, 2010.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Hi all (this is a brilliant forum)

I am growing some roses in large Sankey plastic tubs, should I 'lag' the tubs over winter with bubblewrap or something? The tubs are standing on my patio.

Val

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good evening Gemini This is only what i do with my container roses.In November I usually give them a very light Tidy up,(Not a prune )I do that in March,removing any dead or diseased wood,Remove 2 inches of the surface soil (without disturbing the Roots)and replace with new soil mixed if possible with a little well rotted manure,then i mulch just a little with some straw,about 4 inches up the main stem,just make sure they don,t dry right out,and I never feed them after August.Good luck:)

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Gemini, I would do as advised by Woo, with only the addition of bringing the planters up against a wall to keep the worst of the frost off them. You can wrap the planters if you wish but I don't think it is necessary.

4. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Can I use the straw like what they sell in the pet shop?

Val

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    With patio pots with roses I always put them up against a south facing wall and put some small wooden blocks under them. I think just as the patio heats up in the summer it will transfer the low temperatures through the base of the pots in the winter. I put bubblewrap round the pots. Whether it helps or not I don't know "but I feel better for it."
    On rhodos and our olive, lemon and orange trees last year, I used "plant cosies" too. Other pots go in the shed.