1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. November Photo Comp is now open with a great new theme.! Come and join in.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter crops

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greecko, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +84
    Hi all,

So I have been at this a while but still a total noob. Had lots of nice seeds bought and beds made fo this year but my work schedule is hectic and I just got nothing done unfortunately.

I cleared my large plot and had to remove the black plastic cover so Ive lots of space. Maybe 10m by 12m or so.

Is there any crops I could plant now or coming into the cooler months? Or should I cover it up again until netx year? I have thought about cover crops but dont want to risk them getting out of control if I dont get time to till them again.

I do plan on setting up proper beds next year for it as befoe it was mostly just potatoes in wee ridges. I have the black plastic some gardeners use to plant seedlings into when you cut holes and was going to around it with bark.

My big issue is weeds, I have the full works. Marestail and bindweed are issues, the bindweed especially took over with the spuds as they are a bother to remove without damaging other plants.

2. Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
    Ratings:
    +207
    I'd spend the time getting rid of those nasty weeds. I've marestail too, blinking nuisance. I like to grow spinach and chard. Both stand through the dismal Scottish weather. It depends on what you like to eat. Lettuce can be grown too. I don't like it so don't bother.