Winter flowers

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by taurusmmuk, Sep 25, 2017.

1. taurusmmuk

taurusmmuk Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have bought some winter flowering pansies on the internet and when they arrived they seemed a bit under the weather, so I wonder if I should feed them, or would this encourage too much growth at this time of year that could be damaged when the weather turns cold. I have never grown winter plants before and this is a new area for me so any tips appreciated. The company that I deal with gives a guarantee if the flowers don't grow, but it is a bit tricky to fulfil all the terms and conditions in the given time and I would rather get the little blighters to grow.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit
    One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This will enable the plants to concentrate on root growth. They will flower all the better for it albeit just a little later.
    By potting up you will be feeding them a little too :)