winter hanging baskets

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bettyblue, Aug 23, 2006.

1. bettyblue

bettyblue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know, I know, it's not even autumn yet!! Could anyone advise on winter planting...the bkts are going to be seen from above + below, ok with the above part but can't think of many winter trailing to be seen from below. It has to be variations of green, or white flowering.Many thanks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    How about Ivy, winter-flowering Pansies and perhaps Helleborus (the Christmas Rose) but I don't know how it would do in pots! Even a Cotoneaster or winter-berrying plant to be put in the garden in the Spring. [​IMG]

3. bettyblue

bettyblue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LoL, i was thinking about a berried plant...do you know if sympohoricarpus (snowberry) would be any good?

4. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    in my winter hanging baskets I PUT WINTER PASSIES, WINTER FLOWERING HEATHERS SMALL EVER GREEN VIEGATED GRASSES, SMALL IVY.AND TO SET IT ALL OFF IN THE MIDDLE I PUT SILVER DUST EITHER PLAIN LEAF OR SERRATED LEAF. IT USUALLY STAYS UP UNTILL THE SUMMER POTS ARE READY TO GO UP.

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Hi, bettyblue. The snowberry is very versatile and will grow in sun or dense shade. It's a lovely shrub, especially the S doorenbosii "Magic Berry" the pink one ... nice for wintertime but you would have to plant it out in the Spring as it would outgrow the hanging basket!

Ours can be seen from below and above so I know where you're coming from here! [​IMG]

Sounds very pretty, Fancy ... hope we'll see some pictures this winter?

6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ay ay LofL,I WILL PUT THEM TOGETHER IN OCT.

7. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think I'll do a basket for winter too... my sweet pea spring one ended up a hanging casket! :D

8. AnnM

AnnM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can I recommend for your winter hanging basket to plant up a basket ball (two wire baskets fastened together) of winter flowering pansies. I sent off for plug plants at the end of last summer, planted them up last October and hung the basket in my front (open) porch. They continued flowering all through the winter - lots of people commented on how beautiful it was and unusual to see a flowering basket ball during the winter months. I replaced it in May with another ball of busy lizzies but as the pansy basket was looking a bit tired I took it into my back garden and stood it on an old disused seat - fed and watered it well and a year later it is still blooming!!! I have never had pansies last so long. Will certainly do this again this year. Ann

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Hello, AnnM, and welcome! What a good idea of a wire basket ball! Do you use the grass-like liners, fill them with soil and them quickly slap them together and secure? I may have a go at this myself. [​IMG]

10. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    hi there AnnM I like the idea of the ball. I saw it done once on Gardener's World, but couldn't manage it myself! Maybe have another go this winter! I have winter pansies from last year and some of them are still in flower! I was trying to collect seeds and plant up for this year.

11. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    GOOD IDEA OF THE BALL, AnnM.I will try it.thanks [​IMG] :cool:

12. fletch

fletch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, last year I planted my winter baskets with variegated Ivy, white winter flowering heather and Cyclamen. Lots of people commented on the unusual combination.
    They lasted right through to Spring and then the heather got given away and the Cyclamen planted in the garden. They should be coming up again soon. Fingers crossed!

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    AnnM good idea winter ball, will have a try for winter never normally bother as the winds are dreadful on my balcony, get some winter pansies and try it

14. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI ROSA, SORTED ALL MY WINTER BASKETS TODAY. PUT a mixture of hycinths , silver evergreens trailing bamboo, ivy, veiri. evergreen grasses and winter flowering heathers.

15. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    forgot to mention winter pansies :D :D