Winter Jasmine as a houseplant?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Deano Gledson, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Deano Gledson

Deano Gledson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, this may be a silly question but here goes, can Winter Jasmine (Jasminum Nudiflorum) be cultivated indoors as a houseplant? I know it is a climber and likes a humid environment but will it tolerate being indoors indefinately? If so, will it require some form of small frame or support in or around the pot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    I actually had one for many many years, perhaps 12 years would be a good guess. I had it in a medium size pot with a three foot climbing 4 foot iron thing centered just on top of the main plant. It would go out side after the last frost and then grow way beyond its 4 foot then give me about 4-5 blooms during the summer into fall. Then back inside again just before the first frost, cutting it way back to the 4 foot height. It would never bloom inside. So I felt for only 4-5 blooms and outside it was not worth my time etc, space etc. So I chucked it at the end of the season. I also chucked my 15 foot ficus couple years ago, tired of it taking up so much space in our garden room, and "really" all it was was a huge tree. had that tree for 25 years.

3. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    It needs frost probably to put on a good display indoors

4. Deano Gledson

Deano Gledson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, hopefully it will do well in my living room, theres only one way to find out I suppose.