Wireless networks - a conflict of software?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by louis, Jun 9, 2008.

1. louis

louis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone has had this problem?

I have a three year old PC running Windows XP home edition (SP2). I have recently got broadband with BT who supply a 'Home Hub'. This is a box that plugs into the phone line and provides wired or wireless network outputs.

I bought a Netgear WG311v3 PCI wireless network adaptor to enable my computer to use the BT wireless option.

This works fine, but only if, on the Windows wireless network connection window I select the 'Wireless Networks' tab and then tick the box next to the option 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'.

The problem is that I get the 'general' tab and the 'advanced' tab, but the required 'wireless networks' tab is often missing! In order to get it, I have to uninstall and reinstall the Netgear software. Then I have to go through the entire set-up operation including entering the wireless key.

Having done this, as long as I don't shut the computer down I'm OK, but if I do have to shut the computer down (or it freezes and needs restarting) I no longer have a connection. The Netgear sofware says it's working, the BT software says it can detect the Home Hub, but I get no connection to the internet.

What I'm sure I should be able to do is open the Wireless Network Connection window, but as I said before, when I do, the 'wireless networks' tab is missing.

I get no error messages, I just don't get the tab. Is this a software conflict?

One thing I should mention is that if the computer goes into sleep mode, when I wake it, I get a Netgear dialogue box that allows me to select either Netgear or Windows to make the connection. If I select the Windows option, all is well, but if I select Netgear, it never connects.

I'm sure that I shouldn't have to rebuild everything if I turn the computer off, but that seems to be all I can do.

Sorry this is long; hope someone can help :confused:

2. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cant you just hit the Repair option on the bottom taskbar to prevent starting from scratch

3. louis

louis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried that - it says it is unable to fix it.

4. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The only other thing i can think of is to connect an ethernet cable to Hub and P.c then do the wireless setup again,then unpug it and hopefully bobs your uncle it should be done.

Hopefully that is clear:confused:

5. louis

louis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. Do you think? I'll have to move the computer though. The main reason I am opting for the wirless network is that I can't get the computer near enough to the telephone socket to use the ethernet connection.

6. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The only way i could get a permanant wireless connection when i got my Home-hub was to buy a 25m ethernet cable and connect to p.c and hub then setup wireless then disconnect cable or like you say move the p.c which really is not an option way to much agro.

If you are unsure of my advice why not phone BT on there helpline and explain to them your problem louis m8:)

7. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Yep BT are there to help and there the best people to call as it's there home hub :)