Wish I could photo like these

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by HsuH, Jan 28, 2014.

1. HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,257
    • Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,507
      Good evening Hsuh I am sure that many of us could with the expensive cameras and bright blue skys;):)

I see the grand winner camera Nikon D3s(£3,690.00)

,Nikon D3s + 16-35mm f4 lens + polarising filter; 1/30 sec at f22; ISO 800; Nikon SB-900 flash + SC28 remote cord; mini-tripod; Nikon cable-release.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I think we're all learning and chasing those perfect shots, HusH, and you don't need a lot of equipment or a high end camera to take brilliant shots. Some of the pics have been worked on and made even better than the original but it works for sure. Some of the pics were taken on remote cameras so control was not completely in the hands of the photographer. Some were stitched together to make the shot great, one was actually plucked from a film as a still frame so it wasn't taken as a sole picture deliberately. They are all great shots, taken at the right time and right place, and the photographers have the "eye" to know a great shot before, or as, it happens...........but to be honest [and I've said this before] you have the "eye" and so do some other members of the Gang but they just don't rate themselves. I trawl through a lot of photographic sites and I must admit I become stunned by the beauty of the shots taken by other photographers and become green with envy.......but never say never!!!:snork:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hortiphoto

Hortiphoto Apprentice Gardener

Horticultural photographer and writer
        Ratings:
        +2
        There's no need for elaborate gear to take great horticultural images. I've been a professional in this field for over 20 years and although for a while I carried large amounts of equipment, for at least the last 10 years I've done most of my work with one camera (albeit updated as new models have come along) and a single mid-range zoom lens.

Very few of the photos on my website ( http://www.botanicalstockphotos.com ) were taken with anything that could be considered in the least bit elaborate. Nor do I think, in this field at least, that it's a matter of having a great "eye", whatever that may mean. It's far more important that you understand the plants and why they appeal. Then you'll better understand how to present them. I give great credit for my photographic abilities to my horticultural training.

Understanding plants, knowing how cameras work and how images will "turn out" under varying conditions helps limit the number of nasty surprises and better enables you to capture photographs with the feel you were looking for. It's not equipment or an "eye," it's experience and learning from it.

Finally, Robert Capa's maxim hold just as true for plant images as war photography: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." Move in, isolate the subject, try and capture the essence of one aspect of the subject rather than including everything and you'll be on the right track.

• Like Like x 2
        • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,257
          I knew that all those photos were taken by expensive equipment, and that was not what I'm interested really. I'm more taken by the compositions.

I do ok when I'm taking photos of plants and some wildlife because I can move closer or zoom in close to the subjects, just like @Hortiphoto said. (By the way, welcome to the forum:sign0016:. ) However I'm pretty rubbish (IMHO) when it comes to taking photos of large objects and landscapes, eg a big buildings or rolling hills, they just seem ever so flat:wallbanging:.

From the clips on the BBC site, I can learn to look at scenes around me from different levels and angles and to compose a photo unconventionally (this I think will require some imaginative ability).

Seeing and studying other people's great works (a lot are on this forum) and then going out and trying for myself, that's how I learn.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,507
            Hi and welcome Hortiphoto :)

I doubt that advice helps much when when its torrential rain and gale force winds and your panning to get a sea bird in flight,but I will try it tomorrow;):)

• Like Like x 1