Wisteria Alba issues

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silexa, Aug 3, 2024.

1. silexa

silexa Gardener

HSEQ Advisor
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi all!
    Recently got this wisteria alba from a local GC, it was reduced down to £29 so I thought why not!
    It had a lot of baby leaves on it however, since planting they seem to have died :(
    Can anybody give me some ideas as to why? She’s planted in a nice bed and is watered twice daily during the heat wave.

thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    Did you soak the pot before planting? If not it can be really hard to get mositure into and around the rootball so you may need to pour on a couple of bucketsful to help moisten it.

It is better to give any new plantings one decent drink per day than 2 small ones. This will help soak the roots better and also encourage roots to go down and find their own moisture rather than stay near the surface where they can fry on hot days. Be careful not to drown it tho.

You could also try reducing the leafy parts to minimise moisture lost thru transpiration. Don't feed it till you see some recovery.

3. silexa

silexa Gardener

HSEQ Advisor
    Ratings:
    +57
    I did soak it in a bucket for about 20 mins before planting. Maybe I should go out there and just sit with the hose on it for a bit?

4. Penny_Forthem

Penny_Forthem Head gardener, zero staff

Retired
    Ratings:
    +799
    After several years of feeble growth and few flowers, despite trying every recommended remedy, we gave up with ours.

5. Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    @silexa - better to give it a bucketful - 10 to 15 litres. That way you know how much it's getting.

We inherited 2 very well established wisterias when we moved here. Both are planted against walls. One faces east and has a small bed below it so has benefitted from my weeding the bed and adding feed and compost to hel pestablish a coupl eof ferns, some hardy geraniums and a few spring bulbs. The other is south facing and comes up out of the drive which is basically compacted earth with some fine gravel on top.

Neither one gets watered except in heavy rainfall.

I bought a white one a few years ago at a late spring plant fair and planted that out to cover the fence round our veg plot. However, I did keep it in a bigger pot for a whole season to let it develop good roots. I haven't watered it in th eground since its first summer when I did as I advise above and watered by the bucketful.

It's romping away.

6. Rich_83

Rich_83 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've got this young wisteria, recently planted, and wondered if anyone might know what is causing this to the leaves?

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    It kind of looks like its going into autumn leaf fall early.

Has it been fed and watered well all summer.