Wisteria in a pot

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sinta, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Sinta

Sinta Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. Has anyone have experience growing Wisteria in a big pot and trained it up (not as standard) as a climber over a wall / trellis? Has it worked out alright? How big / invasive do they get?

I have heard horror stories of wisteria running mad, destroying foundations, roofs and pipes. Yet I love these beautiful plants and would like to have one in my front garden, climbing over a metal trellis. I don't mind giving it a heavy prune every few weeks, so growth on that end isn't worrying me.

I am wary though that the roots may go crazy and rip open some pipes that might be beneath the ground, because it's not exactly far from the house. I have heard limiting it to a big pot should do the trick.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Sinta, you can grow just about anything in a pot. By growing a Wisteria in a pot, you are automatically Bonsaing it anyway, so it shouldn`t get out of hand. However, you must make sure it doesn`t dry out and it must be fed regularly. I hope this is of some help.