Wisteria - wire problem?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Andrew Kennedy, Dec 19, 2023.

1. Andrew Kennedy

Andrew Kennedy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My wisteria is about 5 years old and doing well. However.....it has been trailing along wires and the wires have been taken over by the growth - twisting round the wire and the wire is now part of the plant. My question - is this detrimental to the plants future?!? Is there something I should do like try to take the wire out of the plant (would be very difficult).

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,328
    I had the same problem with a thin, metal pole. The wisteria trunk twined round it and has now completely encased it. As long as the sap can continue to flow along the stem it doesn't seem to cause the plant any harm. If there are bits of the wire visible and accessible you could snip them, which will lessen the 'strangle' effect. Then it's just a case of ensuring that new branches are tied to the wires, rather than twisting around them.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,854
    No problem with the plant twisting around the wire but consider the fixings to the wall. Thin wire tends to suggest little fixings and a mature wisteria will be heavy. Check they're not drilled into the mortar too as they might get pulled out.

4. Esoxlucius

Esoxlucius Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    Whilst it's winter and the wisteria is bare you'll no doubt be doing the winter pruning over the next couple of months.

I'd take that opportunity, whilst you can clearly see what you're doing due to lack of foliage, to evaluate your whole tying in structure you currently have and strengthen it where necessary.

You really need a solid tying in plan for these plants even when they're young, and plan ahead regarding the direction you wish the plant to take.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Andrew Kennedy

Ratings:
      +1

• Andrew Kennedy

Ratings:
      +1
      Many thanks for the advice. Will act on what is suggested!!