Wisteria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rekusu, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Rekusu

Rekusu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

SHMBO would like to plant a wisteria in the front garden. The house design does not allow for one growing up the wall, so she would like an arch or pole for it to grow up.

At RHS Wisley recently, we saw some wisteria growing up a hexagonal wooden pole, about 9" diameter. It looks good and modern which would be in keeping with the house design.

Sticking the pole solidly into the ground is not really a problem, but what can one do to prevent it rotting? After all, it is not a fence that can be replaced in ten years; it has to be there for much longer.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rex

PS: I asked at the Wisley info desk but the reply was that they can tell me about the esoteric disease on the underside for of a phalangiaeace but know nothing about preserving a wooden pole for supporting wisteria.

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Don't know the answer to your question, sorry. However, have you considered a metal obelisk instead?

[​IMG]

I've got three in planters which I've just done this year with some climbers to trail over them, but the taller ones could easily be used in the ground as well.

3. Rekusu

Rekusu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your reply; that's quite a good idea. I guess if I can get something like that in stainless steel, it will be long lasting, like a wisteria itself.

Rex

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I don't think the obelisk is big enough for a wisteria .... it needs a half a house

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      As *dim* says wisteria is quite rampant.
      You can, and should prune it, but keeping it within the bounds of a single pole or a small frame would be a real task.
      The RHS do all kinds of things that basically look good, but they change things around quite regularly after a few years.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I agree with dim and Pete about the Wisteria not being a small plant. If you wanted to make a permanent fixture out of it you'd need a pretty big frame for it to grow on, which is why you usually see it on walls and fences where it's got the space to grow.
        Pete's right again about the RHS, they will do projects that look really good but aren't meant to last and will rip it down to do another. Trying to keep a Wisteria in bounds on a Obelisk or pole for a period will make it "unhappy" and need lots of attention.