Wistiera in containers?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Mr zen, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mr zen

Mr zen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to have a go at growing a wisteria in a tub and would love any advise you can give me regarding choosing a plant, potting the plant, feeding the plant and pruning the plant.

As you can see I don't ask for much lol. I'm new to gardening and keen to get it right as I'm enjoying learning something new.

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Wistera---humm. To my knowlege of it, they usually are hardy and vigorous plants.
    Just make sure the tub has a good drainage situation, gravel on the bottom and then soil. If I was going to go through that trouble, I'd buy the one that has the mose fraqrance and a lower zone than typical because your belly of your tub would be exposed to the climate. As far as pruning, first you need something for it to grow on, it should have no issues to normal pruning as it is a hardy vigorous plant.

Just check on line for the plant good for your area zone.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    The difficulty in choosing a wisteria in a garden centre at this time of the year is that you don't know whether it will flower or not, unless you can see some long serrated looking thin "spines" which carried the flowers. The best time to buy one to be certain, is in the spring when they are actually in flower.

I prune my wisterias continuously through the summer, removing any side shoots that will not "do anything," so the energy of the plant goes in the direction I want it to go.
    With big wisterias it's a never ending job as they grow unbelievably fast..overnight!

The main pruning should be done in January, cutting back the side shoots to between two and four buds. I usually do mine now between Christmas and New Year, on a day I've nothing better to do.

4. Mr zen

Mr zen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your advise guys and all is taken on board.

I've decided from this that I will wait until I can see them in flower. Also regarding if they do well in my area/zone, There every where around here. I live in a lovely town just out side of Bournemouth and people round here take there gardens VERY seriously. There are some truly breath taking wisteria around here so I'm confident if I research and start it out well I can make a good job of it.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    WHere are you jmsadare? Must be somewhere hot if you have fresh flowers on your wisteria!