1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood burning stove in wooden garden shed?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by hedgefog, Oct 10, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    We had this rusty old wood burning stove in the corner of the garden. It was used to burn off any twigs, branches and logs found in the garden, and ashes were given to plants.

It was also good some good days sit around it burning logs as the heat and smoke chased flying insects away.

But I am thinking of making a space in the old wooden shed we have. It is quite large because at one point it was used as a garage by previous owner of the house.

But too many junks are piled in the shed, I must clear lot of them making space, if the wood burning stove will come in.

But I am unsure if it would be good idea at all in respect of fire hazard. Just wondering if anyone is using wood burning stove in their wooden shed, and trying to hear about goods and bads of using it in there.

2. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    We have a wood burner in an outbuilding and initially had a stainless steel chimney going through the roof of the building. Due to the rear wall being rebuilt some years ago, we installed a brick chimney.

[​IMG]

The chimney needs to be the insulated type and would need a hole cutting in the shed roof or wall with a seal, ensuring that the chimney is not touching or near to any wood - there will be regs for this I'm sure.

Stove would need fireproof material protecting the floor and walls nearby as it will generate a lot of heat.

Personally, I wouldn't install it. Wood and fire are not the best combination as you suggest.

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      I would not risk it without following building regs which can be looked up. The chimneys will get very hot and will need to be of masonry construction or insulated double flues. The stove surround and hearth will also need to be of adequate construction to prevent catching alight. I am speaking from some experience as I have lived in two houses with wood stoves over a period of 27 years. Here are a couple of links which outline building regs; there are others.

https://www.hetas.co.uk/wp-content/mediauploads/BFCMA-General-Guidance-10-12-12.pdf

Building regulations for fireplaces. Fitting a wood burning stove?

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
      +69
      Yes, good advice. Maybe I will need to wait until brick garage / worshop is built.

The flue gets utterly hot when log burning in full whack, I recall.