Wood Chippings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Prastio, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Tree surgeons have been doing a lot of work in a public sports field next to my garden and produced large amounts of chippings. I have liberated a sizeable pile to use as a weed suppressant. Any other ideas? Presumably I can mix some in my compost heap. Are they good for a mulch or will they generate rot or mould?

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Prastio

Provided the trees were not felled because they had some transmittable disease, the wood chips should be fine. In Spring 07, I had nine (albeit small) trees taken down in my garden and the stumps ground out. I added the wood chips to my compost bin a bit at a time throughout last summer and by Christmas 07, I had the best compost ever. It had much better texture than usual.

3. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Flinty

The trees were taken out to prevent damage to flood defences - no nasty diseases. Thanks for sharing your encouraging experience of adding it to the compost heap: I have my chippings pile right next to mine so I can mix them in gradually.

4. Brian Simpson

Brian Simpson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    And Flinty's advice is the same as I got on the same subject - a small amount in a compost heap will go fine. You can use them as a weed suppressing mulch - but they will take a long time to rot into the soil - so you might have to move them later.

Brian

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    What species were the trees?

6. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Trees were a mix of mainly Willow, Ash and Beech. Does that make a difference?

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, fir trees are higly acidic, so trimmings from them are suited to acid lovers eg rodedendron, camelias, heathers etc.

Willow, Ash , Beach chips will be a fairly neutral PH so a good allround mulch.

8. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I had no idea that wood chips had species related PH. I never cease to learn new things from these forums!

9. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly what I was looking for! I cut my own wood with a chain saw and I always have a big bag of sawdust. From now on I will use it instead of dumping it!

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    We Learn something new, every day on GC :gnthb: Thats one of the reasons its such a Great Site.... Dee..

11. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sawdust (natural,not from a work shop,where it may easily be trated wood)in compost heap = fine, sawdust as mulch = trouble,it will get compacted by rain, and water does not penetrate any more = dry roots, dead plant. Wood chips or shredded twigs are gorgeous stuff in the compost, say 3 parts greens and one part of chipped wood = gourmet compost. :)

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I am planning to use mine for the paths between my raised beds, presumably that would be OK Ivory as not really a "plant mulch" as it will be below planting depth, do you agree Ivory?

13. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Should be very fine I think! :) In time after walking on it for a while it will become all rotted and good and you can directly spade it over the beds :)

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sounds perect (no restraining boards on my raised beds, so the soil trickles down ont o the paths anyway, and needs "spading over the beds" every couple of years anyway.

I'd spade first, to get to equilibrium, and then spread the wood chip etc., and spade-again in a couple of years.