Wood chips

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Notty1975, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong thread but it kinda covers a lot of them
    So I'm about to start building my greenhouse at the allotment it's quite large and is sunk slightly (plot is in a slope) I was originally going to make a timber floor but as I can get free wood chips I was wondering if they can be used as a floor in there I'm going to be growing in pots but I am wondering will there be problems with chips like insects disease etc any thoughts would be great

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Hiya notty....appropriate name considering the topic :rasp:

Most importantly, make sure the wood is clean and clear of additives, etc. In a gh, esp in summer, fumes could cause problems if so. If the wood chips are from untreated wood they should be fine and make a good flooring I think.:)
      Yes, woodlice for example, will be attracted there. Some argue they are harmless to plants and some say they will attack seedlings; I think they do attack seedlings. Solution? Just protect them at the critical stage.
      I dont think you need worry about diseases notty.

I used sawdust and wood chips myself in the garden a few years ago as a mulch, like you I had an almost unlimited supply. I had no problems at all.

Overall, go for it. A good idea :)

Oh! Good luck building your gh....maybe a picture or two?

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,124
      I think your only real problem might be insects and Fungi.. Woodlice can be a terrible problem as they love tiny seedlings, Also there could be Fungi spoors in there.. Probably harmless but could also be a problem.. I tend to think wood chips are for outside.. I know you have an endless supply and so do I, but in my greenhouse I had a ton bag of scalping delivered from the quarry for the greenhouse and they have been excellent..! :thumbsup:

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      A lot depends on the trees that the wood chips come from. If they are from pines, and certain other coniferous trees, they contain toxins that are potentially dangerous to plants when they leech into the ground. Decaying wood can also be a breeding ground for some types of fungi.

Overall, a bad idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
      • Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
        Ratings:
        +107
        Thanks for all the responses the very little I found on the web about it seems to suggest it may be a problem but because the floor is raised about 8" up may have to re-think my options what's your thoughts on maybe decking or gravel boards for the floor

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,397
        I've got a combination of paving slabs with pea shingle at the sides to stand pots on.
        Works for me, the pea shingle is just 3ins thick on landscape fabric.

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          If you are unsure then dont use it notty :)
          I dont think it will be a problem but I tend to agree with Marley Farley that it is better used outside....as I have done successfully :)
          I also found no problems when mulching shrubs, perennials etc......anything untoward would have shown up in the foliage.
          One problem with shingle is ants......they love gravel, shingle etc. Nothing is 100% satisfactory.
          Coincidentally, at the local allotments today....friend of mine has an allotment....I asked about using wood chips. I was curious to find out more. Apparently some do both in the gh and outside. Mind you the timber works are less than a mile away....allotmenteers are always looking for cheap mulches :) Food crops incl fruit and tomatoes were grown well and the growers look in rude health.
          I find the guys...and gals...there to be very knowledgeable, canny and aware so I trust their judgement. :)