wood chips

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by adrian, Jun 16, 2005.

1. adrian

adrian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have an area of 3m x 4m how many kitres of woodchips will i need

if anyone can help

thanks

adrian

2. sallyann

sallyann Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Adrian, I've Just covered approx that amount myself recently, and i used 500 litres
    (5 x 100 litres bag) which gave a floor coverage of 3 inches but i think i'll buy another couple just to have that extra thickness,

B & Q WHERE I LIVE ARE AT THE MOMENT DOING
    5 BAGS OF BARK FOR �£20. Not the best bark mind
    but you could always buy a couple of decent ones for top coverage. Buy the way what's a kitres? LOL Sorry Only Jokin.

3. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know where you live, I live in Cardiff and just on the edge of the city is a garden centre called "The Dutch Barn" They sell you an empty plastic bag for a �£1 and you fill it up yourself from the 15 foot high mound of chippings, one end is old chippings the other fresh cut, take your pick, a bag holds about 100 litres. Thatâ��s the cheapest I've seen in this area.
    Trevor

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] If you phone your local tree surgeon they will sell it & deliver it. [​IMG] In my area that is cost effective, not sure about where you are. Then you can have a good layer. Don't put down the stuff that is too fresh near any plants as it needs to rot down a bit first otherwise it usually burns the plants & if you walk on it the sap will stick to your shoes & get trodden everywhere. :( Happy spreading!! [​IMG]

5. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sallyann, sorry I posted before I spotted where you live, (not very observant...lol)
    If you head towards Cardiff, at the Coryton junction turn onto the M4 towards Newport and come off at the next junction, then immediately left again at the roundabout, you will see the sign for the Dutch Barn. Hope it saves you some cash next time you need any chippings
    Trevor

6. sallyann

sallyann Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Trevor, Yes i live in good old ponty,
    well someone has too, So you're talking about the dutch nursery off junction 30 at cardiff gate,
    went past there last sunday visiting b & q,
    and said to myself " i must go there one day",
    Now i'll definately make the effort, Thanks for the info,
    sallyann.