WoodBlocx

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Debs The Gardener, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Debs The Gardener

Debs The Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there people,
    Has anyone used the product from woodblocx for building retaining walls or features in their garden?
    We are looking at building something to stop a banking collapsing into our garden and it seems a great system, so was wondering whether anyone had a good or bad experience with it

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Debs. :) I have a similar problem with a 3ft high bank. The soil is pushing out the dry stone wall I have so it needs replacing. Although Woodblocx looks like a good idea, I'd be inclined to say that wood wouldn't be ideal long term as it wouldn't be heavy enough to retain the soil and would eventually distort it. I live in a high rainfall area and it would rot in just a few years.

I've looked into blocks produced by Tobermore.co.uk (sorry can't seem to post the link) and it's not as expensive as it looks, I'm giving it serious consideration. :)

3. Debs The Gardener

Debs The Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    01stApril20121.jpg Hi there everyone,
    Has anyone any idea of the footing requirements for putting up a retaining wall? The wall will be 16 metres long and approx. 2 foot high (so may have upto 3 layers of sleepers). This is required to stop the next door neighbours' garden falling into ours. Currently, we have a terraced dry wall on top of which is a line of sleepers. It is this line of sleepers which will become our retaining wall (as can be seen in the photo)
    So far, our intention will be to use sleepers which will be joined using sleeper screws. we are intending that the base sleeper will be drilled and have a groundspike driven through into the ground below to increase stability.
    So does anyone have any suggestions regarding additional bracing, supports, etc. What started out as looking as a quick job has expanded somewhat....
    :help: :please: