wooden greenhouses

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Transkeisue, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Transkeisue

Transkeisue Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    New to greenhouse gardening - have found a local company that makes cedar ones very reasonably. But how much maintenance do they really require?

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cedar is a special wood, is it deffo Cedar?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Western red cedar that is. :D

4. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want something a bit different ebay has one on offer: Item number: 7753480411

Chances are it won`t be cheap though as the last one fetched over �£750 (Item number: 7748256333)

They should last well over 20 years though with minimal maintenance.

5. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i looked at main site, love that one in orkney, built on a stone wall, it looked rather neolithic some how

6. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a cedar greenhouse which I bought last year from a local company who build them to your own size and specification. I chose cedar because it's more natural and rustic looking than aluminium or plastic and keeps more of the bugs away.
    This is the second cedar greenhouse I've had - the first one I bought secondhand, had it for 10 happy years before selling it for more than I paid. It was a reluctant sale but at the time I couldn't devote much time to my garden. I did regret that sale when I forked out for a new one last year....
    I'm very much in favour of cedar greenhouses. They are more expensive to buy but they do hold their price well if you need to sell and they're an attractive addition to any garden.

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,090
    I've had a wooden greenhouse for eighteen years but its not cedar,probably some kind of softwood,Its still going strong but it needs SADOLIN every year. I didnt do this and have had to replace several bits with new timbers because they had rotted.
    Sadolin is an easy appliable wood stain.
    I wish now that I had spent the extra and bought a cedar one.Money was scarce at the time. :(

8. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I must say when I go into a cedar greenhouse there is something special about it. They always seem to be warm and friendy the sort of place a kettle could be found. They make great lean too's as the house contributes to the heating. Sadly I have a alloy one. I think you oil a redwood rather than use a varnish based treatment. Quite jealous really.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    So am I, hans. Would have loved a cedar one but couldn't afford even 6x8', and second-hand isn't an option as I can't manage that kind of DIY anymore