woodlice in a healthy tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by souix, Apr 17, 2011.

1. souix

souix Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just noticed that my Robinia tree has an infestation of woodlice in its trunk.....It has been a healthy young tree up until now but i have discoverd areas in the trunk which are soft...will i lose the tree or can it be saved????and what is the best way to irradicate the pests???? thanx souix:cry3:

2. bluequin

bluequin Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Robinia are beautiful trees so it's a shame yours is having poroblems.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an infestation of woodlice is likely to be because of another problem - not the woodlice themselves. As far as I know they only eat dead and decaying plant matter - the exception being very tender new plants and shoots.

Maybe you could contact a local tree surgeon.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I agree, never found woodlice a problem regarding plants.

Usually they only like damp conditions and rotting timber, so the problem could well be some thing else and the woodlice just an indicator.

4. Harrowed Turf

Harrowed Turf Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, the woodlice are definately not the cause of the problem. Contacting a tree surgeon is good advice as has been said, but if the rot is in the main trunk then the prognosis is not good...anyone?

5. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi souix

Sounds like a possible infection due to fungal infection that has caused the wood to soften or mechanical damage that's made the bark break away from the wood underneath. Is it possible for you to post a few pictures for us to see more clearly the problem that you describe?

Cheers
    Matthew