Wormery and compost making enzymes

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by IDigPerfectSquareHoles, Jul 4, 2012.

1. IDigPerfectSquareHoles

IDigPerfectSquareHoles Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi folks, does anyone know whether it's ok to put enzyme-based compost makers (such as Bokashi, Garotta and suchlike) straight into the wormery? It won't hurt the worms will it? Can't seem to find any info on that...

Also, I've just discovered a box of Garotta in my shed.. must have been sitting there a good 5 years or something.. is that still usable or shall I just chuck it? Doesn't seem to have any "best before" date on it but the box is in such a poor state it's hard to read anything on it anyways.

2. blacksmith2

blacksmith2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I do not know if it will harm the the worms or not, but I do ask the question, why would you wanr to put it in a wormery?, surely the worms will eat the compost.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just let the worms do the job. Worm-processed compost is a bit richer in nutrients than compost produced by decomposition.