Worth trying....desperate times

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JJ28, May 14, 2016.

1. JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
    Ratings:
    +774
    I was told by a gardener to place rags soaked in creosote around areas where badgers & foxes go as this will discourage them. We shall see.......

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't get creosote anymore

3. JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
    Ratings:
    +774
    It's now Creocote or Creoseal......I got the man at ESK to open both so I could smell them; Creoseal was much stronger - I got that and hung rags soaked in it from canes all round newly dug / planted area. I didn't want to stab rags into soil with tent pegs as thought it might not be good for soil. Just been out to look - all was left alone overnight.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Mr Badger couldn't tell the difference then :):thumbsup:

Don't think the stuff is much good for living things, bloke we recently worked for slapped it on the fences, it killed any plants he spilled it on :ouch1:

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,071
        Best of luck. We have lost over £500 of tulip bulbs over the last few weeks and still we cannot stop them New fencing, human hair, grey water, Jeyes Fluid, Renardine. Nothing has worked. Now trying Prince Charles' gardener's tip of putting half filled clear plastic drinks bottles around the fence where we think they are getting in. Otherwise I am seriously considering turning the garden back to grass and selling it as a paddock for horses.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,466
          Jeyes Fluid kept the badgers out of our garden but doesn't work for foxes.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          The previous tenant of one of the plots we now have wouldn't listen to us about fencing it to keep rabbits out and insisted that a single strand of creosote soaked baler twine around the perimeter would keep them out, but they hopped in and ate all his crops.

Next he bought some 900mm high (chicken mesh) fencing, but again trying to save money he spent ages snipping into half width, but the rabbits hopped over the 450mm fencing znd ate all his crops.

He then gave up and I took on his plots and I fenced where necessary with 900mm high mesh, What I suspected was a Badger path immediately had a hole torn through the 'chicken mesh', but a length of weldmesh sorted that out and forced them to detour.

An ex-work colleague used to have his garden bulbs continually dug up by badgers, and never managed to prevent it. A local gardens use electric fencing to keep badgers out, and that has proved successful.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +3,071
            To put an electric fence round our garden would come in at about £500 and that was for second hand stuff too. We have a long perimeter. And with the hedges and shrubs round the edge it would be very difficult to install.

• Friendly Friendly x 1