Would Camellia or Magnolia Stellata cope better with dry conditions?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Aug 27, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I bought 3 Magnolia Stellata about 3 years ago from Lldls! God knows what root stock they are on all I know is they have grown huge (about 4ft 6ins high x 10 ft wide). This is good and bad:). They have outgrown their allotted space and altho I know they don't like being moved 1 Magnolia has to get shifted and a Camellia needs to move too. I am far too old to start creating another shrub bed so the 2 will have to go where there is space. 1 space is partly under the canopy of a massive Copper Beech which over hangs the shrub bed but isn't in it if this makes sense. Consequently this space gets pretty dry during the summer months. Which of the 2 shrubs would cope better in this spot? My guess would be the Camellia but I may well be wrong.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Hmmmm.....I saw a Stellata earlier this summer that was at least 20ft high and almost the same in spread Silu. I had always thought they were small trees but not any more. :doh:If yours have the same growth you'll need more than a new bed for them. :)

3. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Gawd @Sheal. I grew 1 in my previous garden and it was quite petite and didn't grow like flaming Topsey. I wonder what's happened!? Hmmmm would anybody like a semi mature Magnolia Stellata!?:) Perhaps I should try and sell 2 of the 3 I have on Ebay? Well, seems people will buy just about anything and I did manage to sell a broken concrete lintel on Ebay (only listed it cos the builder joked that I should and someone bought it for 99p which got rid of a problem of how to get rid of it!).

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,887
      You win some you lose some unfortunately Silu. :doh:Is it worth hanging on to one just to see how it goes or should I say grows? :biggrin:

It's amazing what people will buy, at the right price of course. :)

• Like Like x 1