Would you plant another clematis here?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, Apr 19, 2009.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    I had a clematis last year which wilted. I posted pics on here at the time-thought perhaps it was wilt but perhaps not. Here's the pic again
    [​IMG]
    I cut it down last year as I didn't know what else to do. This year, no sign of it.
    So, would you plant another clematis there?
    If not, what else could I use? West facing wall, gets sun most of the afternoon/evening. I'd want something showy for summer. Fence is only 6ft so no higher than that.
    Thanks for any help :)

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hi Daisy

Were the roots in shade? I know very little about Clematis Wilt, but I do know they like sunshine, but their roots in shade. You can achieve this with stones, pebbles, broken pots or slabs covering the soil around the base of the plant.

3. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks sussexgardener :) I did have a half pot over the roots, but it's demise was swift. One day half the plant wilted, the next day the other half and it never recovered.
    So do you think another clematis planted here would suffer the same fate?

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I would try again with that spot, covering the roots very well. Maybe don't splash out on an expensive variety though - perhaps get one of those cheap ones sold at Morrisons!

5. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Funnily enough, I had a Perle d'Azur on a south facing wall, climbing through an ornamental grapevine. It flowered well for two years then just curled up its toes and died. :( Nothing had changed, the roots were cool and the top growth ws in the sun. A mystery.
    I will try again, once I get some time after the stress of Chelsea is over:thumb: