Would you prune these petunias?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by zizi, Jun 6, 2024.

1. zizi

zizi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I hope it's ok to post! New here so not certain if this is the right place, but I have some hanging baskets that are looking a bit odd :(
    To make them neater, would you cut the petunias back?
    I arranged them with the petunias in the middle and lobelias around the outside, hoping they would trail downwards. They are hanging south facing.
    Would appreciate any advice!
    Many thanks!

2. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Personally I wouldn’t trim them at the moment … I think they look charming. It’s early in the season for hanging baskets to look their best and this year the summer is late starting anyway, and the whole purpose of a successful hanging basket in my eyes is for it to look a bit lush and ‘overblown’.

What I would do, if you can manage it, is to rotate the basket every week or so to … that’ll ensure all aspects of it get a roughly even amount of sunlight and therefore grow evenly , but please do be careful and get some help to do it if you need to … hanging baskets can be heavy. It goes without saying turn them before watering.

Have a lovely summer :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,953
      I wouldn't prune them either.

Not all petunias trail down down. Or was it just the lobelias that you want to trail? The side that gets more light will always grow bushier so turning them, as @Dovefromabove says, should even them up.

• zizi

zizi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you both so much for your replies and advice! I did want just the lobelias to trail down, have seen trailing petunias as well. I did previously have petunias in hanging baskets, they just grew much more slowly, these ones have just shot up!
      Will definitely rotate the baskets and will leave them be for now!
      Think I may have overdone it with the number of plants in there though?! I put in I think 5 lobelias and 4 petunias :doh:

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,148
      Its not clear from the photos but
      could you hang them on longer chains?
      hence getting them down more to eye level.